Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill

Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill For residents and soon-to-be residents of Mattamys On Main and Wheler's Mill.

Old 2008-04-07, 07:00 PM
Regular User

Default Photos and Vidoes - Quality problem with hardwood stairs?

Please examine the following photos and videos if you are considering upgrading to a wooden staircase. We have been in our house for over 5 months and these items are still present as shown.

The builder has described the gaps as being minor and does not feel the need to do anything but add more filler. These stairs were installed incorrectly and the gaps have existed since the day they were installed. This isn't normal expansion and contraction (we've got photos from construction showing that they were pre-existing). You can see that copious amounts of filler have already been used without success. It just dries up, cracks and falls out.

This first video shows that the contractor does not have the ability to cut the balusters (or pickets) correctly. The first picket on almost every stair has a gap greater than the width of a credit card between the bottom of the baluster and the tread (this is demonstrated in a photo that I will include later on).

The second video shows the gaping that has been present between the riser and the treads since the staircase was installed. We asked Mattamy to correct this problem (without filler) before we even showed up for our PDI. They filled the gaps with filler anyway. You can see what kind of results that yielded. The last 2 or 3 steps are what I would expect to see in the whole staircase.

MOVED IN!

Last edited by MaxJay; 2008-04-07 at 07:08 PM.
Old 2008-04-07, 07:31 PM
LVSantos

Have you sent anything to Tarion?

I know what you mean about the wood filler ours is carpet grade and the trim is full of it. I've just been taking off our baseboards today and I've noticed so many more flaws that I haven't noticed before. There's DAP everywhere! That's the best way for them to hide their errors.
Old 2008-04-07, 07:56 PM
Regular User

We're eligible to contact Tarion this month. I am posting this information so that others can be their own judge about the quality of the work.

Here are some photos showing the general attention to detail on finishing work. Notice the cracks, pencil marks and paint all over the trim.

This is the largest of the gaps between the riser and the tread. It was filled with filler at one time but that has dried up and fallen out. This was described as a minor gap approximately the thickness of a credit card. By the builder representative.

MOVED IN!

Last edited by MaxJay; 2008-04-07 at 08:00 PM.
Old 2008-04-07, 07:57 PM
Regular User

This shows the gap that exists on almost every tread between the first baluster (or picket) and the tread.

Our staircase is very light so details that are really annoying tend to get washed out. this was an area on the handrail that was not varnished. It's accumulating dirt on the left side. Sorry about the quality of the photo it's the only one that shows the problem.

They varnished our stairs after the installed the carpet. Can you see the evidence?

This is just a generally good photo that summarizes everything. You can see paint on the wood. The quality of drywall finish around the railing is questionable. If you look really closely where they put a plug in to cover the anchor you will see a pretty big tearout from the drill. All of these plugs have this huge tearout. Someone isn't taking their time.

MOVED IN!

Last edited by MaxJay; 2008-04-07 at 08:14 PM.
Old 2008-04-07, 08:03 PM
Regular User

Exclamation

The more filler, the faster it dries out, the faster it falls out. After the stairs were installed & trimmed all the way around, settled down & that's why there is a gap on the wall side. But the gaps between the step & the stringer is a bad cut (check for level left to right) Check for square, riser to stringer? I am sure it's about 1/4" off...on 10".

Are your pickets set with metal strip under the handrail? Looks like every second is cut too long or every first is cut too short... Don't let them put any more filler, it's pointless, it's a waster of their & your time.

What I think should be done: remove the pickets, clean the dowels, re-cut them slightly lower (1/8") check for perfect height & angle & probably re-veneer the stringer side to cover the gaps. But that is extremely difficult to do, to cut every shape of the step in one piece of veneer.

It would be easier to just replace the staircase. Don't give up, keep fighting them & let them do service calls on your time, not theirs!! Mattamy is trying to see who's got more patience by dragging this for so long. So much for the JD Power rating

Last edited by patrob; 2008-04-07 at 08:11 PM.
Old 2008-04-07, 08:39 PM
Regular User

Holy Cr*p! Our stairs look awesome, I can't believe that your staircase came from the same builder....that is just crazy. We have been in several of our neighbours homes with upgraded wood (oak and maple) staircases from Mattamy all of them looked great

Sean & Laurie
Bassett Elev \'B\'
Wheler's Mill
MOVED IN!

Last edited by gizmo; 2008-04-07 at 08:43 PM.
Old 2008-04-07, 10:55 PM
Regular User

Yeah...

Unfortunately, it's been a long struggle for us and there are other issues with our house and lot that we have not addressed on this forum.

GregS has not mentioned anything to me yet but I understand that he does not want us posting problems with the construction of our houses. I've tried really hard (unsuccesfully) not to post this sort of thing here but find myself getting frustrated with the lack of customer service that we have been receiving.

I can assure you that Emily is a very patient person and she's had a very calming affect on me ever since I met her. We were extremely excited early on in the building process and we always treated Mattamy with respect. It wasn't until later on when that respect wasn't returned that our problems started.

Quite often on the forum you get to hear what we have to say about a topic after we've been struggling with it for a very long time. I am touchy about it because we've been dealing with some of these issues for over a year (we noticed most of them during construction).

When others ask us about our house and we express our distress about the experiences we have had we always hear, "But, Mattamy is number 1." It is almost as if people don't believe what we have to say about these problems.

I'm not posting the issues to show the crappy construction... it's going to happen and I'm ok with that because it's pretty easy to get a trade who just doesn't care. For the most part Mattamy can't do very much about that on the spot.

What I've been trying to get across is that in our case Mattamy has not been demonstrating an interest to resolve these issues in a timely manner and accept responsibility on behalf of those trades. For us the customer service has become a huge letdown. We would like to believe the hype but it has not translated into reality for us.
MOVED IN!
Old 2008-04-07, 11:09 PM
Regular User

Maxjay - thanks again for sharing your experiences. I have to ask about one thing you said though:

"GregS has not mentioned anything to me yet but I understand that he does not want us posting problems with the construction of our houses"

Can I ask why this is (or perhaps GregS can jump in here.. )? I would hope that these forums remain democratic and allow people to post both their praise as well as their complaints. I think that both are invaluable to both current and prospective homeowners..

Tom
Old 2008-04-08, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Maxjay - thanks again for sharing your experiences. I have to ask about one thing you said though:

"GregS has not mentioned anything to me yet but I understand that he does not want us posting problems with the construction of our houses"

Can I ask why this is (or perhaps GregS can jump in here.. )? I would hope that these forums remain democratic and allow people to post both their praise as well as their complaints. I think that both are invaluable to both current and prospective homeowners..

Tom
Because he's documented everything well.
Because he understands that he has to contact Tarion and said he is elligible to do so this month (please do so)
Because he understands that this is not the norm and that stuff happens.
And most of all, because he's taking a somewhat calm and objective approach to it as opposed to just ranting and raving about how much of an idiot their builder is.

This is almost a perfect example of how to go about this. I am just unsure if you have contact Tarion yet or not.

Note: This does not mean I will accept other posts about people complaining about their homes. I still have yet to finish a document outlining how to go about getting issues with your home resolved.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2008-04-08, 09:22 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
What I think should be done: remove the pickets, clean the dowels, re-cut them slightly lower (1/8") check for perfect height & angle & probably re-veneer the stringer side to cover the gaps. But that is extremely difficult to do, to cut every shape of the step in one piece of veneer.
Mattamy had to re-veneer stairs as well right before we moved in (long story, no need to get into the details). It was a very hard job to do from what I saw of it and we have a strait stair. They hired an outside contractor, I believe he was local to either Stouffville or Markham (I could be wrong it was several years ago). I was very wary of them doing it because I know that if it is not done properly it can look terrible. We meet with him beforehand to go over everything and he assured me that he could do it properly. The gentleman did an a fantastic job, took several full days of work to do. There is only one seam that is visible (if you look for it), other than that you would never be able to tell that any work was done.

I wish I had his name because he might be able to help Jason and Emily as well. We have metal pickets so luckily we did not have to deal with the pickets, only the stair and stringers. Keep pushing for a resolution Jason.

Mike