Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2008-06-06, 05:20 PM
Regular User

Smile Built-in Microwave Shelf?

We chose microwave shelf as an upgrade hoping to install microwave and trim kit to give a built-in look. The builder quoted us "standard microwave shelf with electrical plug" for $600, but when I asked if I could install trim kit, they told me in that case I need to go for a "built-in microwave shelf". This is our first time buying house directly from a builder and the learning curve is so steep. Could someone please shed some light on the difference between a "standard microwave shelf" and "built-in microwave shelf" and in order to use trim kit, is "built-in shelf" really necessary? Thanks very much.

Old 2008-06-06, 06:09 PM
Regular User

Hi,

I post two pictures for your information. One photo has built-in microwave and the other has microwave shelf.
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-06, 06:19 PM
Regular User

Oh.. the pictures are too small. I attached another two pictures here.

Also, you can ask your decor rep. to show you the microwave shelf. My builder was Starlane and my decor rep. showed me the microwave shelf which was installed in the staff's pantry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	built in microwave.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	2087   Click image for larger version

Name:	microwave shelf.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	2088  
Old 2008-06-06, 06:21 PM
Regular User

A microwave shelf is just a shelf below the cabinets that you place the microwave on whereas a "built-in" is actually set in to the cabinets the same way a built-in oven would go. In the later case, the kitchen maker leaves a hole big enough for your microwave to go in and then you use the trim kit to finish it and make it look flush and "built-in". I personally wouldn't go that route unless your other appliances are of the built-in type as well.

edit: now I can see the above pics! pictures speak louder than words!

Old 2008-06-06, 06:21 PM
Regular User

Hey anyone knows h much builder charge for installing built-in applaince...
Old 2008-06-06, 09:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCL View Post
Oh.. the pictures are too small. I attached another two pictures here.

Also, you can ask your decor rep. to show you the microwave shelf. My builder was Starlane and my decor rep. showed me the microwave shelf which was installed in the staff's pantry.
Thanks very much. Truly a picture tells a thousand words. Built-in does look nicer but it appears some extra countertop space is going to give. We plan to put microwave right next to the fridge, which is adjacent to a L-shape countertop. We've chosen deeper upper (24") for the fridge so with the built-in microwave shelf the cabinet section will stick out. Does anyone know which option (built-in vs. standard shelf) is more appealing and may add more value to a kitchen?

Old 2008-06-06, 10:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulikh View Post
Hey anyone knows h much builder charge for installing built-in applaince...
My builder doesn't install built-in appliances but refers us to their appliance supplier Appliance Canada. I went to a few places that sell major appliances, and the impression I got was if you are buying all pieces from them, you can negotiate very minimum installation fees.

Old 2008-06-06, 11:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretgarden View Post
Thanks very much. Truly a picture tells a thousand words. Built-in does look nicer but it appears some extra countertop space is going to give. We plan to put microwave right next to the fridge, which is adjacent to a L-shape countertop. We've chosen deeper upper (24") for the fridge so with the built-in microwave shelf the cabinet section will stick out. Does anyone know which option (built-in vs. standard shelf) is more appealing and may add more value to a kitchen?
In my opinion the built-in would bring more value (re-sale) and clean look.

I have a question on kitchen cabinets and value and hope its not too far from the original subject. I understand that Starlane (and other builders) provides different level of kitchen cabinets: Stardard (vainer stuff), upgrade #1 (wood and vainer), upgrade #2 (solid wood), etc.

My question is, does having sold wood really makes that much of a difference from re-sale perspective? Does/will it really bring that money back when time for re-sale?

Thanks.
Old 2008-06-07, 12:15 AM
Regular User

Question Dimension of Standard Microwave Shelf

Oh and one more question, does anyone know the dimension of a standard microwave shelf? It may sound like a stupid question, but is there any chance I could install trim kit over a standard shelf? Thanks.

Old 2008-06-07, 12:18 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejack View Post
In my opinion the built-in would bring more value (re-sale) and clean look.

I have a question on kitchen cabinets and value and hope its not too far from the original subject. I understand that Starlane (and other builders) provides different level of kitchen cabinets: Stardard (vainer stuff), upgrade #1 (wood and vainer), upgrade #2 (solid wood), etc.

My question is, does having sold wood really makes that much of a difference from re-sale perspective? Does/will it really bring that money back when time for re-sale?

Thanks.
My personal opinion is solid wood. If you are going with a modern kitchen theme, then choose a less grainy wood like maple. Oak is more traditional. We've bought and sold a couple of places before this new house, and yes, we got every cent we put into our old kitchens back. But that's just my personal experience. Hope that helps.