Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-06-18, 09:48 AM
Regular User

Default Microwave in the corner cabinet

I have attached a picture for our kitchen taken from a model home. As you see, we have two corners and we were thinking to have one of them to host the microwave and one to be glass. The reason for that, the corner is deep and very hard to use and keep organized all the way. We either have both as glass or none, but we really like to have glass cabinets. It just breaks the few.

If any one has done that, I really appreciate a picture of that kitchen. I will visit home depot today to see if they have any model kitchen like this.

Thanks for any feed back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2746 (Large) (Medium).JPG
Views:	247
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	2190  
Old 2008-06-18, 09:54 AM
Regular User

It's a great idea but do you think you'll be able to find a microwave which can fit into that corner? Can you place the microwave anywhere close to the fridge and/or stove? I've seen a model home where they had the microwave right beside the stove at the bottom cabinets (they just created an openning big enough to fit a microwave). I've also seen one where it was installed in the island itself!
Old 2008-06-18, 10:01 AM
Regular User

Thanks for your fast feedback.

Having the microwave close the over was the original design. If notice in this picture, I have played with Paint and closed the microwave on the left side of the oven.

We are adding another pantry close the fridge, and that would made it a limited space to have a microwave. This still an option when the design center come back and say it would fit. We will see.
Old 2008-06-18, 10:08 AM
Regular User

W hat about an over the stove vent/microwave combo??
Old 2008-06-18, 10:13 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&H View Post
I have attached a picture for our kitchen taken from a model home. As you see, we have two corners and we were thinking to have one of them to host the microwave and one to be glass. The reason for that, the corner is deep and very hard to use and keep organized all the way. We either have both as glass or none, but we really like to have glass cabinets. It just breaks the few.

If any one has done that, I really appreciate a picture of that kitchen. I will visit home depot today to see if they have any model kitchen like this.

Thanks for any feed back.
What model/builder is this?
Old 2008-06-18, 10:24 AM
Regular User

I think you will have trouble finding a microwave to fit.

Our corner cabinet is awesome for storage, fitting three full 12 piece place settings (large plate, medium plate, small plate, pasta bowls). I hate to guess at the total weight in there, but it's a small fortune in Denby. Shorter folks may have trouble though, so I see your concern.
Old 2008-06-18, 10:30 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post
What model/builder is this?
Richcraft. Jefferson.
Old 2008-06-18, 11:25 AM
Regular User

I don't think you'll be able to fit one in the corner. Which side of the fridge are you adding the pantry? If it's the far side have you thought about building the microwave shelf next to the fridge (on the side closest to the stove) and just having a shorter cabinet above it?
Old 2008-06-18, 11:28 AM
Regular User

I think it will make the kitchen look unbalanced (and I also do not think that a microwave would physically be able to fit there).

But that's just IMHO.
Old 2008-06-18, 01:56 PM
Regular User

We are in a Ryerson which has a kitchen identical to the Jefferson. As you can see in the picture, we went with the glass cabinets but also made them 42" high. We really like the look of this. We put all of our glasses, salad bowls, serving bowls, wine glasses, etc in there.

I personally like things to be symmetrical & would find the microwave in one corner to look off balance.

If going with the microwave shelf, I would suggest having Richraft move it to the other side of the stove so it's closer to the dishwasher. I thought of that one too late & couldn't make the change. I also would suggest having the inside painted/stained as it sticks out like a sore thumb......unless, of course you go with white cabinets

As noted by hhassoun, you could always put the microwave in the island. Have a look at some decorating magazines/websites. I found a number of them had microwave drawers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	finished kitchen.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	926.0 KB
ID:	2191