Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-11-30, 07:28 PM
Regular User

Default Temperature Difference Between Main Floor and Second Floor

I'm just curious...if the thermostat on my main level is set at 21 (Celcius), what kind of difference can be expected on the second floor?

All summer long the difference was exactly 1 degree. So far this winter, the difference has been about 1 degree but it hasn't gotten really chilly yet and our bedroom is above the garage.

So let's say it's -21 outside and the difference goes to two or three degrees. Is that still with in the range of "normal".

I'm keeping an eye on it, and obviously if my room goes to 14 this winter I'm going to let the builder know.

My question I guess is, at what point does the difference go from "that's normal in a 2 storey house" to "oh man, that just ain't right!"
Old 2011-11-30, 08:14 PM
Regular User

I think it's 1 or 2 degrees. I think you are able to call Tarion on this though as its part of their guidelines.
Old 2011-12-01, 08:34 AM
Regular User

Last night it was -5 here, and my sons room went down to 19 with the furnace set at 20. I guess that's not too bad.

Still though - it seems chilly in his room in the morning. It's the bedroom at the back of the house and furthest from the furnace. Feels like it's not getting enough heat to me.

I suppose 1 degree isn't a big deal though
Old 2011-12-01, 09:17 AM
Regular User

Yeah, one degree isn't bad. If it gets worse, check the attic insulation.
Even a little bit of missing insulation can be a large heat-suck.
Old 2011-12-01, 04:56 PM
Regular User

I doubt any builder will do much for a one or two degree difference. If you want to keep things as even as possible you should be thinking about keeping your furnace fan running full time (if you aren't doing that already). That should help even things out.
Old 2011-12-01, 05:26 PM
Regular User

Grudge did you install the lower return vents?
Old 2011-12-01, 06:56 PM
Regular User

I'm assuming that you're within the one year warranty. For warranty work, check the attic for uneven insulation levels (among other things). Attic insulation is probably (I'm guessing here) the least inspected warranty item.

However, due to construction process and timelines, there's a good chance that wind would have blown insulation around the attic and some will have over two/three feet while some sections will have less than a foot.

Get your a$$ up there, check the levels, and include this item in your warranty list. I'm glad I did. Builder contractor (Blondin) came to add insulation and spread the insulation in certain places. Took the crew of two about one hour of work.
Old 2011-12-01, 07:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Grudge did you install the lower return vents?
Not yet...it's on my list for this weekend. In the Master it's going to be tricky. The vent is fairly large and there is an electrical outlet right where the screw for the vent would go. The outlet is too low to put the vent under it. I'm not entirely sure what to do there yet.

The one in my sons room will be no problem. It's completely unobstructed down near the baseboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex_rex;
Get your a$$ up there, check the levels, and include this item in your warranty list. I'm glad I did. Builder contractor (Blondin) came to add insulation and spread the insulation in certain places. Took the crew of two about one hour of work.
I will. Actually, the guy across the street from us has had the insulation crew up in his attic so it stands to reason we could need some evening/extra ourselves. I do have a question though - one I should know the answer to. When the house was being built I noticed the trusses appear to be 2x4!! I don't want to go through the ceiling too badly so I'm assuming as long as I stick to the rafters I should be okay? Don't want to pull a Clark Griswold ! Our attic hatch is at one end of the house and my sons room is at the opposite end so it's going to be a long journey!

Last edited by TheGrudge; 2011-12-01 at 07:23 PM.
Old 2011-12-01, 07:47 PM
Regular User

if you can, walk on the trusses high enough to not compact the insulation
Old 2011-12-01, 07:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
if you can, walk on the trusses high enough to not compact the insulation
...and avoid the "drywall only" sections.