Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

View Poll Results: What is your ideal main floor ceiling height?
8 foot or less 1 3.23%
9 foot 8 25.81%
10 foot 18 58.06%
11 foot 0 0%
12 foot or more 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-07-17, 10:17 PM
Regular User

Default Ideal main floor ceiling height

If you can choose your main floor ceiling height in Vaughan, Thornhill or Markham, what would it be?
Old 2011-07-18, 11:27 AM
Regular User

Can't really generalize it. It depends on your budget and the size of your house.

I would say 9' is pretty much standard for all new developments. If you have budget and floor plan is big enough, go for 10', but then you will have to upgrade the 2nd floor as well. Otherwise, it looks kind of weird with 10' on main and 8' on 2nd.

Actually, if I can only pick one floor to upgrade, I would go for 9' basement.

Last edited by rdx; 2011-07-18 at 11:29 AM.
Old 2011-07-18, 06:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdx View Post
Can't really generalize it. It depends on your budget and the size of your house.

I would say 9' is pretty much standard for all new developments. If you have budget and floor plan is big enough, go for 10', but then you will have to upgrade the 2nd floor as well. Otherwise, it looks kind of weird with 10' on main and 8' on 2nd.

Actually, if I can only pick one floor to upgrade, I would go for 9' basement.
It is a hypothetical question asking for your ideal ceiling height. So, there is no budget limitation.

I agree with you on the 9 ft ceiling being now on most new homes.

You brought up an interesting point on the 9 ft basement. While I like having a 9 ft ceiling in the basement, it is also the only place where you CAN actually change the ceiling height after the house Is constructed. Of course, it would cost like $50k or so.
Old 2011-07-18, 10:05 PM
Regular User

I will go for 10' and actually I just did that.
Old 2011-07-19, 05:32 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornhill View Post
I will go for 10' and actually I just did that.

Would you agree that a 10 ft (or higher) ceiling is a luxury home's feature? I mean with the higher ceiling, comes more incidental costs like upgraded kitchen cabinet heights, higher interior doors (e.g. 8 ft) or customized window treatments. I think it would make the house feel more luxurious and grand.
Old 2011-07-19, 09:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by khll View Post
Would you agree that a 10 ft (or higher) ceiling is a luxury home's feature? I mean with the higher ceiling, comes more incidental costs like upgraded kitchen cabinet heights, higher interior doors (e.g. 8 ft) or customized window treatments. I think it would make the house feel more luxurious and grand.
100% agreed. If you upgrade the 10' ceiling, you HAVE TO increase all the height of openings, interior doors, windows, entrance doors, kitchen cabinets...etc to MATCH the 10' ceiling, I spent 18K for 10' ceiling and more than double for those things. Kitchen and cabinets are the most expensive one. I would NOT suggest to only upgrade 10' ceiling without upgrading the other items.
Old 2011-08-04, 10:40 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornhill View Post
100% agreed. If you upgrade the 10' ceiling, you HAVE TO increase all the height of openings, interior doors, windows, entrance doors, kitchen cabinets...etc to MATCH the 10' ceiling, I spent 18K for 10' ceiling and more than double for those things. Kitchen and cabinets are the most expensive one. I would NOT suggest to only upgrade 10' ceiling without upgrading the other items.
I 2nd That
Old 2011-08-06, 07:23 PM
Regular User

We upgraded our doors to 8 ft interior doors too. We have a 12 ft ceiling in our main floor.

The only problem is we need to replace the front entry door to 8 ft as well. There is large transom window on top of the current 6 ft 8 in exterior door. Do you guys think there is a problem removing it to change it to a 8 ft door after market?
Old 2011-08-06, 08:27 PM
Regular User

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=17544
Old 2011-08-06, 08:48 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by khll View Post
We upgraded our doors to 8 ft interior doors too. We have a 12 ft ceiling in our main floor.

The only problem is we need to replace the front entry door to 8 ft as well. There is large transom window on top of the current 6 ft 8 in exterior door. Do you guys think there is a problem removing it to change it to a 8 ft door after market?
I was reading the Medallion thread shortly after we got our house and the topic of door heights came up a couple of times. The interior doors were $350 a piece to go to 8ft. I was expecting the main entrance to be significantly more, but it was $1200 for both doors of the Wildwood, which was a bit of a pleasant surprise.