Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2011-11-09, 09:45 AM
Regular User

Thumbs up Get your main floor Rim Joist properly insulated!!!!

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to share some insight I learned over the last few weeks.

The first winter in our new house was great except for a really really cold basement and the fact that I could feel cold air blowing in from underneath the floor moulding on the windward side of the house. After getting some good info from the Homedepot guy I decided to try and seal up my rim joinst using sheets of the pink/blue polystyerema...something or other and Great Stuff foam cans. This was in preperation for this upcoming winter. I found out that it is doable but really hard to get the foam into all the nooks and crannys around the rim joist. After 6 rim joist channels were done I gave up.

I ended up hiring Kinlar to seal my rim joist with their soy based sprayfoam. Man, what a difference already and it's not even that cold out right now! My basement is so much warmer and comfortable now. Before the 3 ft of hardwood floor running around the windward side of my house was always colder than the rest of the floor, now it is all the same temp.

In a nutshell, get this done if your house is not an R-2000/Enery Star home (I believe they seal it for those energy efficient homes). And do it before you move all your stuff in if you can. It was a pain in the but to move all my crap I had accumulated in the basement so the Kinlar guys could get access to the rim joist.

My house is 2800 sq ft with about 145 linear feet of rim joist, and it cost me $1000 tax in to do it. I think money well spent.
Old 2011-11-09, 06:43 PM
Regular User

Great info. I am redoing my basement and intend to add roxul insulation in the rim joist, bringing it out past the concrete wall by about 6-8", then putting in a wood block, sealing that to the floor joist with spray foam and using vb underneath to seal it up. The rim joist area is a big heat loss, as you have now seen. Even in my R2000 house, it is sprayfoamed but not very thick from what I can tell.

Old 2011-11-10, 09:51 AM
Regular User

Wow sounds like you are really going to town on your rim joist!

Yes it is a good idea to do it past the concrete foundation as you mentioned, however I only did 3" think spray in hindsight. I did put back the original pink fiberglass thus now everything is covered past the concrete.

I think ideally the whole basement should be sprayed but I couldn't justify the $$$ to do it now, especially that the basement will remain unfinished for a bit.