Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-01-15, 10:35 AM
Regular User

Default Tartan - review

I am getting very close to purchasing a tartan semi in havencrest. So far I have been impress with the builder. However I would love to get some uncensored honest feedback.

Just to guide your feedback here are some questions:
How is their warrenty service post delivery?
Have you had any major issues that did not get resolved?
Did the house close on time?
Any False promises?
How receptive are they to negotiations?
Would you buy a tartan house again?

Your feedback is extremely valuable and I appreciate your time and input.
Old 2012-01-16, 12:25 PM
Regular User

Hey Embargo -

I'd love to send you a PM with my thoughts, but you seem to have not allowed them. What I will say is that I've been incredibly happy with the sales service and dealing with the builder before closing. I will be closing soon, so I can't comment on this post-sales service yet. However, this is my second new home, and have been MUCH happier with Tartan than with my previous builder.

Good luck!
Old 2012-01-16, 03:35 PM
Regular User

Thanks for your feedback. Good luck on the closing. If anything arises that would be great to let me know! Now I need to find how to allow pm's. Thanks again!
Old 2012-01-16, 04:25 PM
Regular User

go into user cp its in there somewhere

our last Tartan took many days or parts of days to get all the issues looked after - everything was looked after but it was a struggle

they are overall above average in the area based on our experiences

there wont be any negotiations and I understand they have minimized structural change elements that they will entertain - and by that I mean moving walls

I would buy another one - they do offer a very good value (size and features vs cost)
Old 2012-01-17, 12:14 PM
Regular User

I haven't been on here much in the last few months, but I would give the thumbs-up to Tartan as well. Reasonable price, they don't nickle-and-dime you for every little thing, good customer service, good quality.

There has been some outstanding issues (which there will be for EVERY house you buy) but overall we are pleased with how everything has been handled, and very confidant that all the little issues will get fixed up with minimal fuss.

We'd buy Tartan again, for sure.

Good luck!
Old 2012-01-17, 03:12 PM
Regular User

regarding 'on time' - each development and indeed any major new phase comes with its own set of approvals and timeframe uncertanties

JT phase I was about a year late for example, Fraser Fields many months, not sure about others

This new development - with nothing installed yet - should be considered high risk for potential delays

The problem is that ontime results in other places mean nothing.

Once they are allowed to build, the timing is very predictable.
Old 2012-01-18, 02:03 PM
Regular User

We are on our second Tartan home. We were extremely happy the first time around and decided to purchase our second from them.

The first one we bought was a semi in Findlay Creek. We bought in phase 8 i think? And when we purchased, there was nothing but a field where our house would be built, ie no roads, servicing etc... We purchased our place in July of 2007 (back when Tarion didnt have that new form with all the dates outlined) and closed in August 2009. When we signed our papers we had a TBA as our closing date with a verbal "promise" of a June 2008 closing. From there we got delay notice after delay notice. I dont think it was the builder as much as it was the city being slow with the permits.
Tartan was very accomodating during the process - we even changed our mind about the model we wanted about 11 months into the process and they helped us out by agreeing to the change (no permits for the actual house had been filed yet). We also got a few "perks" for having to wait so long. When we did finally move in, we were satisfied with their after care. Any issues we did have, were resolved quickly - the major ones were addressed immediately (within a few hours of a phone call) and the others in an acceptable amount of time.
In late 2010 we decided we needed a bigger space and started to look around at building another house in the west end. Our decision to stay with Tartan came after a few months of researching other builders, comparing floor plans, standard options, upgrades and customer service. We decided why change a good thing: we were happy with how our semi was built and the after sale service and so we stayed with them.
We closed on time and with a house we are happy with. So far the customer service has been good. I had a "connection" with our CS person in FC so it was like calling a friend - she knew who I was by the sound of my voice (maybe I called her too often or maybe she had caller ID so she could fake it better). This time around its more of a business connection - not that its a bad thing - just different, less personal.
As for negotiating, they weren't open to it at all - either time. My husband tried to squeeze them for a little extra in DC bonus since we were back so quickly after buying our first place. No dice. They are also very strict about the referal program (or at least were with us). Friends of ours were looking to buy a house at the same time we were and they decided to purchase a home from Tartan on our recommendation, but since we didnt go to the sales office with them the first time around, we didnt get the bonus, even after pleading our case.
Good luck with your decision making process! What model are you looking at?
Old 2012-01-18, 09:34 PM
Regular User

Thank you so much for the reviews! I have been impressed so far!!! Thank you!! This community is such a excellent resource!
Old 2012-01-19, 10:18 PM
Regular User

Absolutely go with Tartan, this will be our second Tartan home and third new build, first home closed on time and we had no builder delays on this home as well. Quality is good, customer service has been great from purchase to DC to after service, if I had to build again I would go Tartan.
Old 2012-01-19, 11:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_JenMc View Post
We are on our second Tartan home. We were extremely happy the first time around and decided to purchase our second from them.

The first one we bought was a semi in Findlay Creek. We bought in phase 8 i think? And when we purchased, there was nothing but a field where our house would be built, ie no roads, servicing etc... We purchased our place in July of 2007 (back when Tarion didnt have that new form with all the dates outlined) and closed in August 2009. When we signed our papers we had a TBA as our closing date with a verbal "promise" of a June 2008 closing. From there we got delay notice after delay notice. I dont think it was the builder as much as it was the city being slow with the permits.
Tartan was very accomodating during the process - we even changed our mind about the model we wanted about 11 months into the process and they helped us out by agreeing to the change (no permits for the actual house had been filed yet). We also got a few "perks" for having to wait so long. When we did finally move in, we were satisfied with their after care. Any issues we did have, were resolved quickly - the major ones were addressed immediately (within a few hours of a phone call) and the others in an acceptable amount of time.
In late 2010 we decided we needed a bigger space and started to look around at building another house in the west end. Our decision to stay with Tartan came after a few months of researching other builders, comparing floor plans, standard options, upgrades and customer service. We decided why change a good thing: we were happy with how our semi was built and the after sale service and so we stayed with them.
We closed on time and with a house we are happy with. So far the customer service has been good. I had a "connection" with our CS person in FC so it was like calling a friend - she knew who I was by the sound of my voice (maybe I called her too often or maybe she had caller ID so she could fake it better). This time around its more of a business connection - not that its a bad thing - just different, less personal.
As for negotiating, they weren't open to it at all - either time. My husband tried to squeeze them for a little extra in DC bonus since we were back so quickly after buying our first place. No dice. They are also very strict about the referal program (or at least were with us). Friends of ours were looking to buy a house at the same time we were and they decided to purchase a home from Tartan on our recommendation, but since we didnt go to the sales office with them the first time around, we didnt get the bonus, even after pleading our case.
Good luck with your decision making process! What model are you looking at?
Thank you so much for the review it is very helpful and solidifies my choice. I am looking at a Silver Birch