Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-02-09, 09:42 AM

Default Orchard Model Homes

Has anyone had a chance to check out Uniform's model homes? How do they look?
Old 2015-02-09, 11:40 AM
Regular User

They are extensively upgraded. Very nice, but on the upper end
Old 2015-03-08, 07:14 PM
Regular User

We checked out Uniform model homes today and agreed with darryl, very impressed with the (decorated) models (the last 2 townhouses are not decorated yet so they are more or less nothing to write home about)

We like the fact Uniform finishes the bathrooms in the basement for the towns. Lots of standards that would be considered upgrades by other builders but obviously this is reflected in the price. My concern is this could be a busy/noisy area with Jockvale being such a busy street. Monarch is also building in this community but we didn't have time to check out the lone model here (the Amadeus).
Old 2015-03-09, 10:33 AM
Regular User

I'd like to take a drive to have a look at these.

I really like Uniform as a builder, but I'm a bit surprised at the pricing.

1600 square foot 2 bedroom bungalow, STARTING at $523,500 on a 42' lot....

I looked at the specs, and especially those in bold, and I could only see the hardwood stairs as a "standard" option, that is not offered as "standard" by many builders these days.

For example...This feature is in bold;

"PVC double glazed factory sealed Low-E, argon gas filled casement windows, complete with non-conductive spacers and interior screens on operable windows"

That $523,500 is before we even speak of any lot premiums...Which only 6 lots are without in Orchards..

Again..Really like the builder...but not really understanding the pricing...

Old 2015-03-09, 03:19 PM
Regular User

You raised some good points Berk but the following Uniform standards (outside of the hardwood stairs that you listed) would be considered *upgrades* by many other builders (and I'm taking this straight from the brochures we picked up yesterday)

- Oak hardwood throughout main floor, including bedrooms

- Smooth finish ceiling throughout

- Granite countertops

- 3-piece basement bathroom rough-in

- Recessed pot lights in foyer, hallways, stairwells, kitchen and upper hall

I don't know how much this should factors in, money-wise, but the location is also something worth considering as Stonebridge is an established community and homes here have traditionally commands more $ than similar models in other neighbourhoods.
Old 2015-03-09, 03:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
You raised some good points Berk but the following Uniform standards (outside of the hardwood stairs that you listed) would be considered *upgrades* by many other builders (and I'm taking this straight from the brochures we picked up yesterday)

- Oak hardwood throughout main floor, including bedrooms

- Smooth finish ceiling throughout

- Granite countertops

- 3-piece basement bathroom rough-in

- Recessed pot lights in foyer, hallways, stairwells, kitchen and upper hall

I don't know how much this should factors in, money-wise, but the location is also something worth considering as Stonebridge is an established community and homes here have traditionally commands more $ than similar models in other neighbourhoods.
Smooth finish is standard for Tartan, so is the hardwood, and almost all builders are giving granite or a massive design centre credit towards it.

I guess my point is, for 1600 square feet, on a 42' lot, I didn't expect to see a 535k starting point.

For sure Stonebridge is established, but Barrhaven is near attached to it now.

We're also not talking about golf course lots, as many of the early Stonebridge lots were.

Old 2015-03-09, 03:37 PM

I agree that Uniform’s prices can seem high, but they consider themselves a premier builder in Ottawa and I guess that comes with the territory.

I think there are some intangibles in addition to their included upgrades that help explain the price. They are extremely flexible with their homeowners throughout the building process. They update their homes constantly to be in style whereas some builders seem to still be building very dated homes. Also Uniform puts a lot of thought into the overall community which makes the homes all look better in the end.
Old 2015-03-09, 03:42 PM

Tartan uses vinyl siding and I believe their stairs are carpet as are most builders
Old 2015-03-09, 03:59 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer77 View Post
Tartan uses vinyl siding and I believe their stairs are carpet as are most builders
I'm not comparing Tartan directly to Uniform.

I'm saying, for example, Tartan offer smooth ceilings as standard now. Richcraft for example offer a ridiculous number of pot lights in their Executive Towns as standard.

Point being, I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the starting price of the homes there.

We're talking about $334/square foot!

And as I've also mentioned, the hardwood stairs is the ONLY item that Uniform shows as standard, that I have not seen offered as standard with other builders. Perhaps there are more detailed spec sheets with some unknown high priced material??

Last edited by BlkStnBerk2; 2015-03-09 at 04:03 PM.
Old 2015-03-09, 04:05 PM
Regular User

Uniform (as well as HN Homes) has a "style" of home that appeals to me, moreso than the other builders. At least the more contemporary elevations anyway.

They are pretty expensive but I suppose it appeals to homeowners who would do all those sorts of upgrades anyway. It's not only the big things like the hardwood stairs (which are site finished) and flat ceilings, but their standard selections for things like baseboards, plumbing and lighting fixtures. And it's true that you can customize almost anything you want.

But I'm sure that there is a cost for their "brand" as well.