Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-06-04, 08:04 PM

Default $5500 for Cathedral Celling with additional windows is too much?

does anyone know how much should be charged on optional cathedral ceiling?

now the builder(Brigil in Gatineau) offer cathedral ceilling on both living room and family room for $5500.

the living room has size of 11'x19' with a half rounded window(29"x56") on top of original middle window(out of 3 windows) and the family room has size of 15'x18' with a square window(40"x72") and 3 half-rounded windows on top of square windows.

what builders usually charge on similar cathedral ceiling in Ottawa side?

Thanks in advance

Dart
Old 2008-06-04, 09:14 PM
Regular User

Can't answer your question - I do not know of a floorplan from a builder that has an option to include cathedral ceiling. It is usually part of the floorplan already, not an option to add.

On another note, in the Globe and Mail newspaper this past weekend, they had an article about cathedral ceiling. It was indicating that more and more people are moving away from that. Comments about how owners of homes with cathedral ceiling in living room / family room find it hard to cool / heat the room, the noise factor, too high to reach and clean, etc. And many customers want to use that space for an extra bedroom upstairs or larger rooms upstairs.
Old 2008-06-04, 10:30 PM

the house is bunglow, so I won't be able to get any extra room above.

The family room face west, I know it need more cool air during the Summer because of extra windows with cathedral ceiling, but it saves lots on gas bill during the winter because we have much longer winter than hot summer days.

I think the clean and painting are not big issues for me.

why it has noise factor?

thanks
Old 2008-06-19, 10:49 AM
Regular User

I was wondering about cathedral ceilings as well. We are getting 9' ceilings with cathedral in the living area and in the master as standard feature. All we wanted was the 9'. Would you keep the cathedral or not?

I don't want to get something that looks nice but has many negative things like heating/noise/painting/cleaning....

My hubby does NOT want to opt out of the cathedrals. Initially these towns were only with 9' ceilings but they added the cathedral ceilings I suppose to try to sell them faster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bordeaux_plan_sm2.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	2196  

--------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/funrabbits

http://sunburstmirror.blogspot.com

Pictures from Model Homes:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=6930

CBC Marketplace show on Spray Foam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287

Last edited by waikiki; 2008-06-19 at 10:51 AM.
Old 2008-06-19, 11:25 AM
Regular User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartmuse View Post
does anyone know how much should be charged on optional cathedral ceiling?

now the builder(Brigil in Gatineau) offer cathedral ceilling on both living room and family room for $5500.

the living room has size of 11'x19' with a half rounded window(29"x56") on top of original middle window(out of 3 windows) and the family room has size of 15'x18' with a square window(40"x72") and 3 half-rounded windows on top of square windows.
I would take the upgrade because you cannot do it after closing that's for sure I love cathedral/open to above ceilings because we had cathedral in our previous house in the family room & now have an OTA feature in the family room & I love both of these features IMO it does add value to a house because it gives it that 'grand' feeling/look Plus since it's a bungalow, you don't lose anything.

Sure the noise will travel easier since it's open concept but isn't that the point of homes now, they are all open concept plus the ceiling height gives you an illusion of a larger space. So I say go for it because you only have one chance to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waikiki View Post
I was wondering about cathedral ceilings as well. We are getting 9' ceilings with cathedral in the living area and in the master as standard feature. All we wanted was the 9'. Would you keep the cathedral or not?

I don't want to get something that looks nice but has many negative things like heating/noise/painting/cleaning....

My hubby does NOT want to opt out of the cathedrals. Initially these towns were only with 9' ceilings but they added the cathedral ceilings I suppose to try to sell them faster.
If they are standard feature just add the 9 ft. ceilings & it will look even better with a bigger 'wow' factor

Last edited by patrob; 2008-06-19 at 11:27 AM.
Old 2008-06-19, 12:14 PM
Regular User

We had an option for "vaulted" ceilings in our great room only. The option was $1900 I believe.
One of our second floor bedrooms has a vaulted section of ceiling but it is standard like that.
We are a bungalow (with a loft).

The roof trusses arrive with the raised section built into them from what I see with the bedroom rafters.

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!

Old 2008-06-20, 02:02 PM
Regular User

I'm expecting my quote this afternoon from Fieldgate... will let ya know.