Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-06-21, 08:49 PM
Regular User

Default 'Undoing' stippled ceiling

Hi there,

I just stopped by our house after being on a business trip this week and wanted to take a look at the progress made. I could see through the windows that they painted the walls which look great but they also stippled the ceiling, which again looks great BUT the problem is that we paid for the flat ceiling upgrade throughout the house (including the finished basement which they also did)...sigh. Just looking for some advice from construction experts to let me know how big a deal this is to fix? They have to undo the stippled ceiling throughout the entire house and change it to flat ceilings instead - will my flat ceiling still be flat after they fix this?

Thanks.
Moved in: August 21st, 2013
Old 2013-06-21, 10:04 PM
Regular User

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. We paid for smooth ceiling throughout the house as well and since it's not a common request, I was worried they'd forget, but luckily they didn't.

I'm sure they can undo and your smooth ceiling will be the way it's supposed to be. A couple of our friends did a full reno and ended up smoothing out their ceiling and it looks perfect, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck.

Old 2013-06-21, 10:07 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMessi View Post
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. We paid for smooth ceiling throughout the house as well and since it's not a common request, I was worried they'd forget, but luckily they didn't.

I'm sure they can undo and your smooth ceiling will be the way it's supposed to be. A couple of our friends did a full reno and ended up smoothing out their ceiling and it looks perfect, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reassurance LeoMessi!! Fingers crossed they return my call on Monday or Tuesday and give me the same reassurance that everything turn out perfectly!
Old 2013-06-21, 10:23 PM
Regular User

Sorry to hear that SophieP! I'm sure everything will turn out fine. They sure like creating themselves work sometimes don't they?

Old 2013-06-21, 10:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unscathed View Post
Sorry to hear that SophieP! I'm sure everything will turn out fine. They sure like creating themselves work sometimes don't they?
Thanks Unscathed - yeah, you're right, they certainly do...
Old 2013-06-22, 12:37 AM
Regular User

Urgh... I removed the popcorn ceiling once in a small room (90 square feet), it wasn't something difficult -- spray water, let it soak a little bit, then scrap -- but it was very messy. Luckily I had the carpet removed and I put down plaster cover, so it's easier to deal with the mess.
Old 2013-06-22, 07:21 AM
Regular User

We've been lurking so far. Sorry to hear about this Sophie, we too optioned for Minto's "smooth ceiling" so it will be interesting to see how that develops (both for you and everyone else).

I finally figured out why the prices of homes are so high, each builder makes so many mistakes (your smooth ceilings, misplaced basement plumbing, friend had his hardwood torn out b/c the trade didn't bother to "glue and screw" the subfloor properly [I think this one might've actually happened twice], showers installed improperly so they don't drain etc) they build the reparations cost into the price of the home...

Last edited by craquer; 2013-06-22 at 07:24 AM.
Old 2013-06-22, 09:34 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlestone View Post
Urgh... I removed the popcorn ceiling once in a small room (90 square feet), it wasn't something difficult -- spray water, let it soak a little bit, then scrap -- but it was very messy. Luckily I had the carpet removed and I put down plaster cover, so it's easier to deal with the mess.
Thanks littlestone - yeah, it's the mess I'm dreading - I know the finishing touches like the flooring, etc are not in yet but it's still a huge amount of mess and dust that will be flying around in the air, ducts, painted walls, etc. I peeked into our neighbours' house and it looks like they got the smooth ceiling - I wonder if they actually paid for that or if it was a mix-up between both houses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craquer View Post
We've been lurking so far. Sorry to hear about this Sophie, we too optioned for Minto's "smooth ceiling" so it will be interesting to see how that develops (both for you and everyone else).

I finally figured out why the prices of homes are so high, each builder makes so many mistakes (your smooth ceilings, misplaced basement plumbing, friend had his hardwood torn out b/c the trade didn't bother to "glue and screw" the subfloor properly [I think this one might've actually happened twice], showers installed improperly so they don't drain etc) they build the reparations cost into the price of the home...
Hi craquer and welcome - thanks for the sympathy - it's really annoying that they can't just seem to read their list of upgrades for each house and get it right...I'm confident that it will all as close to perfect as possible in the end but like Unscathed mentioned, they DO seem to enjoy giving themselves more work than necessary. You're right about the price of all the mistakes being built into the total prices of the house - they need to cover that somehow for sure. Are you building in Avalon craquer? If so, come join our progress thread - we'd love to hear more about it!
Old 2013-06-22, 03:14 PM
Regular User

do you know if the ceiling has been spray painted after the texture was applied?

if yes, makes it harder to remove

they can dry scrape it, then skim coat entire ceiling
or wet it, scrape it, touch up nicks and joints

when a ceiling is stippled, they do one less coat of compound - do you know if yours was prepped for smooth ceilings? if not they would need to feather out seams and any high/low spots that the stipple hides

don't be surprised if they want to give the money back and not redo all of this
Old 2013-06-22, 03:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
do you know if the ceiling has been spray painted after the texture was applied?

if yes, makes it harder to remove

they can dry scrape it, then skim coat entire ceiling
or wet it, scrape it, touch up nicks and joints

when a ceiling is stippled, they do one less coat of compound - do you know if yours was prepped for smooth ceilings? if not they would need to feather out seams and any high/low spots that the stipple hides

don't be surprised if they want to give the money back and not redo all of this
Whaaaa! Yes, it looks like they spray painted it since I see spray on the top portion of all the walls. Not sure if the ceiling was prepped for smooth ceiling but I'll make sure to ask when the foreman calls me back. Sigh - I don't want my money back - I just want a smooth ceiling like I ordered/paid for!

Thanks for the info G2K!