Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-11-20, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Phil Acker View Post
Venting of roof spaces applies only where the space is insulated. If you have an uninsulated front porch and garage roof space, then vents are not required.

Water coming through the soffits only during a warm spell after a cold snap is usually due to air leakage from your home into the roof space. Condensation occurs when the moist, warm inside air meets cold outside air. In certain cases, large chunks of ice can form due to this air leakage. When the roof space warms, the frost and ice melts.
Perfect Thanks!
Old 2019-12-03, 05:02 AM

Hi Phil,

Thank you for answering all of our questions. I was wondering if you had any idea what this could be on the foundation in the basement. It looks like it could be concrete but not 100 percent sure. Wondering if you have ever seen anything like this. I have attached a link to the the picture as I was having trouble uploading.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UCDYcJNXNP2FaFwbA

TIA
Old 2019-12-07, 10:11 PM
Regular User

Default How many NMD90 cables allowed under staple?

Hi Phil, can you tell me how many 14/2 gauge wires I can staple together under an S2 staple? Local HD guy said only one cable allowed under staples, for any cable size. Please confirm, thanks.
Old 2019-12-11, 08:14 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesouth88 View Post
. . . I was wondering if you had any idea what this could be on the foundation in the basement. It looks like it could be concrete but not 100 percent sure. Wondering if you have ever seen anything like this. I have attached a link to the the picture as I was having trouble uploading.
This is concrete splatter from when they were pouring the concrete basement slab. You may find some splatter on the floor joists and sheathing if you look up. Lastly, if it is near the front foundation wall area, slam-dunk on it being concrete splatter.

WEB: www.ackerhome.ca
PHONE: 613-447-9660
E-MAIL: phil@ackerhome.ca
Old 2019-12-11, 08:15 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by royc View Post
Hi Phil, can you tell me how many 14/2 gauge wires I can staple together under an S2 staple? Local HD guy said only one cable allowed under staples, for any cable size. Please confirm, thanks.
I made an earlier statement of "One staple, one wire". Not correct. Certain staples are designed to secure more than 1 cable. If it is labeled CIS-2, then it is allowed to secure two 14/2 or two 14/3 gauge wires. You can tell whether the staple will be suitable by looking at the location of the shoulders of the staple that limit how far the staple needs to be driven. Stapled wires should be able to move freely - the objective is to support the wires, but not constrain movement.

WEB: www.ackerhome.ca
PHONE: 613-447-9660
E-MAIL: phil@ackerhome.ca

Last edited by Inspector Phil Acker; 2019-12-11 at 10:26 PM.
Old 2019-12-12, 11:20 AM
Regular User

Thank you very much!
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM

Hi Phil,
Have question regarding heating.
My home which we’ve moved in this summer takes around 2.5-3hr to heat a single house size of 2400sq ft (not including finished basement) from 19.5C to 21C. This is when outside temp is 1C outside. Time gets worse if outside temperature is lower. Just worried that once the cold winter hits, my furnace wont be able to heat the house to our desired temperature.

Ive got the re-balancing done few weeks ago, but did not helped. Also technician set the furnace so that it turn ON to stage two right from the start to help with the heating as well.

Is this normal? Ive checked if the furnace is undersized and it seems to be 44,000btu and seems to be undersized for our house.

Any input will be helpful.

Thank you for your help.