Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2021-10-09, 11:35 AM
Regular User

Wink Happy with our landscaping contractor

Just wanted to put a few good words here regarding the landscaping jobs that our contractor Woodlock Inc. has done for us.
1- Front yard - was done more than 10 years ago by Woodlock, looks even more beautiful now that it is aged. The interlocking still looks intact, no changes after 10 years!

2- Backyard - was done more than 2 years ago. Looking more beautiful as years pass by. The interlocking is sitting firm and intact.

I think thatís what you should expect from a good landscaping. That it ages without changes in the interlocking and it looks more beautiful as it ages.
So if you are looking for a reliable landscaper, I highly recommend Woodlock:
https://www.woodlock.ca/
Old 2021-10-13, 04:25 PM
Regular User

Glad to hear.

We have used Yards Unlimited 2x here in Richardson Ridge - 1st class operation. All documented, organized, brings a port a pottie for big jobs. Class operation all the way, not the cheapest but the efficiency and compliance to bylaws etc means you are getting quality.

Can not believe all the dubious landscapers out there this year - no corporate signage, guys wearing no shirts etc - On our cresent, there are 3 houses where the work is taking over 1 year, they show up, then do not show up.

You get what you pay for.
Old 2021-10-14, 10:44 AM
Regular User

We were also looking at getting a backyard oasis plus some front hardscaping completed by yards unlimited. they have already come out for the initial consult. What kind of work did you have completed? Were you happy with their attention to detail?
Old 2021-10-15, 03:06 PM
Regular User

Hi Camoki:

My husband and I are very pleased with Yard Unlimited - they are the premier landscape company in Ottawa, Kanata Landscaping would be 2nd. Yards is also I think, the most expensive, but you get what you pay for.

What makes Yard unique is the fact they offer two services a) design services you pay separately for and b) implementation. If you just want their design and list of products for the design, you pay and go, then have someone else implement.

What I have noticed is that of the 8 houses on my cresent who had work done this year - 0 had a design and list of hardscape and plantings - more a handdrawn diagram, an invoice with some details and price. Not much detail.

Yards has done 2 work items for us:

1) Front yard landscaping consisting of hardscape, plantings, moving of boulders that we had bought earlier. They are all about detail, for example, they indicated you should pay for the cutting edge around the main hardscape so that your main hardscape does not take the beating from mowers and snippers. They brought in a port a pottie for their staff (this was before covid). They show up on time, they sweep the street at the end of the day and the only leave when the job is done - not this come and go approach I see with other fly by night landscapers.

2) Did a remedial project to fix the major grading mistakes made by my new home developer. The original grading had major errors and the City forced the developer to fix 4 properties. Well Uniform did not fix the front of my and my neighbours house, so all my neighbours front downspout water flowed onto my front yard and flooded it (no swale constructed, made the neighbours front higher than mine, basic, basic stuff so bid errors). The owner of Yards Ian Stewart came and did an assessment to make it right and compliant to bylaws. I am going to small claims court to recoup this $ and much other $ against the developer and the useless City.

I am very pleased with Yards, they have the 30 year experience and high quality standards to do any job.
I have seen 6 different fly by night operators on my cresent this year - no corporate markings etc - basically out of province or parolees. Bad news.

Hope this helps!
Have a great and safe day!