Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-05-01, 12:13 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikejon View Post
but then I did that for other builders in other developments and found that people were generally happy to answer questions about their new homes. I know now why the Phoenix homeowners were angry....
Yeah, I've answered questions of a quite a few people / potential buyers. Most owners are glad to help.
Old 2007-05-03, 08:50 PM
Regular User

Phoenix Homes has an ad in the latest *New Homes* insert from Ottawa Sun (dated April 21, 2007) stating about 75% of its singles in Strandherd Meadows has been sold and prices start at $257,000

Does anyone have any more info on these singles ? I believe granite kitchen countertops and granite foyer are standard in Phoenix singles now. Also Free Hardwood Bonus available. I'll probably go with my cousin (he's house-hunting) this weekend for another drive out there again!
Old 2007-05-03, 09:50 PM
Regular User

The granite they include is crap. They only include it because the owner of the company owns a granite factory in India. It is super thin. They have vinyl floor in the kitchen so unless you are ready to upgrade your kitchen floor, what is the point. And if they crap out on the installation, it looks like total junk.
They won't let you get a credit for the countertop and granite foyer to put towards something else...
Old 2007-05-04, 06:32 AM
Regular User

granite = people think that it's impressive. It attracts people and that's what they need. A lot of home buyers just look at the eye candy when buying. Not many people take the time to go into the model house basement and see the structural stuff... which is what they should be doing!
Old 2007-05-04, 10:02 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowStopper View Post
The granite they include is crap. They only include it because the owner of the company owns a granite factory in India. It is super thin.
About a year or so ago, Phoenix home bought The Granite Shop here in Ottawa. The reason given was so they could include granite coutertop in the kitchen and granite flooring in the entrance as a standard.

I've not been to a model home to see what the quality looks like.

But from a marketing perspective, its one way they can be different from the rest.
Old 2007-05-04, 12:36 PM
Regular User

It entices people to sign, to be blind to legion stories of year-long delivery delays, etc. It isn't big enough an upgrade in my opinion to put up with Phoenix if even a few of the stories are true... I'd rather pay an extra $5K-$10K to a builder that will deliver on time.
Old 2007-05-05, 02:12 PM
Regular User

Speaking of Pheonix, We were looking in the Brookside development as my wife and I really like what is going in there, we have been looking at Garand Homes, Has anyone heard of this builder? or any stories?

We were speaking with the owner directly and liked what he had to say. He also had some townhomes nearly completed, and walked us throught those. We were very impressed with the qualilty and how the homes were built. I guess the good thing is him being a smaller builder you deal directly with him as he mentioned to us.
Old 2007-05-05, 02:22 PM
Regular User

Molson - you may want to start a new thread to talk about Garand Homes. Otherwise its just going to mickup 2 threads into one. (once you have a new thread started, edit you post to link to the new thread)
Old 2007-05-05, 10:01 PM
Regular User

BAsed on what I've heard from my inspector, Garand is one of the best in Ottawa. If you like their location (ie: brookside), I'd go for it.
Old 2007-05-10, 12:18 AM
Regular User

Exclamation

I was out at the Brookside site this past weekend and all of the builders are really moving along, some homes ready to move into, and Pheonix hasn't even put a shovel in the ground yet. If i bought from them in there I would be really worried as they already seem to be 5-6 months behind schedule. I don't know what is going on but hopefully they correct it soon and get things on track.