Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-05-18, 02:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhighness1 View Post
I thought the purchase agreements were written so that the buyer couldn't back out. I thought I was locked in.
There are laws about how much notice and how long a delay the builders can give you. Relatively short delays are allowed so long as the builders provide sufficient notice. A "medium" length delay is allowed but you must be compensated. At a certain point you are given the option to walk away.

Forgive me, I have no numbers, but some else will surely chime in with details.
Old 2007-05-18, 03:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhighness1 View Post
I thought the purchase agreements were written so that the buyer couldn't back out. I thought I was locked in.
You're protected by Tarion, I think it's summed up very well here:
http://www.tarion.com/HOME/New+Home+...eholdHomes.htm

Wow I just noticed on the bottom of that page that if you sign any ammendments or anything for the builder, you may be waiving your rights. And after a 120 day delay you only have 9 days to decide to terminate, or the whole cycle starts over again. I guess you have to be *really* careful.

Last edited by J&A; 2007-05-18 at 03:11 PM.
Old 2007-05-18, 03:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
Forgive me, I have no numbers, but some else will surely chime in with details.
I think that it's ~130 days or something like that. If you get a notice from them about your delay, DO NOT sign that you agree to it otherwise you can't back out unless they give you another 120 - 130 days delay notice
Old 2007-05-22, 12:01 AM
Regular User

Was there again on the weekend checking on how my house was coming along and Pheonix did not even have a hole in the ground yet.
Old 2007-05-22, 07:55 AM
Regular User

Default Starting the digging this week....

Apparently Phoenix is starting to dig this week (I've been quoted that they are supposed to start today). Fingers crossed. If you were out to Brookside on the weekend you probably noticed that the lots are now marked with street numbers. I'm hoping that this is to tell the construction crew where to start digging.
Old 2007-05-23, 12:27 AM
Regular User

yourhighness1, I know all the streets are marked but did not notice the lots marked as I have a different builder however I did notice marking pegs and the construction site office is there (that's a good sign) . I hope they start soon as they are at least 5-6 months behind all the others already.

I know my house is supposed to be ready by mid June and I'am sure some of the other builders are looking at that time frame as well. I know if I saw others moving in I'd be getting really anxious to get in as well.

Last edited by Molson_g; 2007-05-23 at 02:28 AM.