Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-06-17, 09:37 AM
Regular User

Default Multi-Room Audio

Did anyone get the mutli-room audio package from Mattamy? I'm really stoked about this upgrade and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on it...
Old 2009-06-17, 10:12 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverrock View Post
Did anyone get the mutli-room audio package from Mattamy? I'm really stoked about this upgrade and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on it...
I'm not with Mattamy and we decided not to go ahead as an upgrade through the builder (Tamarack) but we have since priced a system with two other places. Both came $3,000 lower than Tamarack's supplier. We went to SonX (also called MArio Audio video I think) in Rockland - we had met them at the Home Show and liked the service - and we priced a really good package with Futureshop (they do their own install now). We are aiming towards Futureshop.
Old 2009-06-17, 10:52 AM
Regular User

Default After the fact

Does that mean you are going to have to rip holes in your walls and ceiling though? That was the main selling point for me. I wanted it done right when the house was being built. Plus, the 4 room system was only $3800 with Mattamy. I priced out the hardware at around $2,600 US, so I thought the price was resonable.

Do your systems include wall mounted controls for each room? Can you select power/volume and source right from the room?
Old 2009-06-17, 10:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverrock View Post
Does that mean you are going to have to rip holes in your walls and ceiling though? That was the main selling point for me. I wanted it done right when the house was being built. Plus, the 4 room system was only $3800 with Mattamy. I priced out the hardware at around $2,600 US, so I thought the price was resonable.

Do your systems include wall mounted controls for each room? Can you select power/volume and source right from the room?
Tamarack charged me on the order of $100 per speaker pair rough-in. They charged me $70 for each cat5 rough-in at light switch height for the eventual control panels. It really cost me little to nothing in the scheme of things and now I have the speaker wire and cat5 terminating right at the media panel, ready for the multi-room system I'll buy after closing.

$2600US seems kind of steep. How many zones are you looking at?
Old 2009-06-17, 11:07 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Tamarack charged me on the order of $100 per speaker pair rough-in. They charged me $70 for each cat5 rough-in at light switch height for the eventual control panels. It really cost me little to nothing in the scheme of things and now I have the speaker wire and cat5 terminating right at the media panel, ready for the multi-room system I'll buy after closing.

$2600US seems kind of steep. How many zones are you looking at?
I believe he posted a 4 room system, so that means at least 8 speakers and an 8 channel amplifier. I'd expect speakers to be 200$ each (that is hardly extravagant) + 1000$ for an 8 channel amplifier (or more likely 2 4 channel amplifiers) will easily get you to 2600$ before you add in controller units.

I considered the setup from mattamy but I decided against it. My main reason was that speakers are a highly personal selection. I didn't want to spend the money only to be unsatisfied with the sound quality.
Old 2009-06-17, 11:52 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgauvin View Post
I believe he posted a 4 room system, so that means at least 8 speakers and an 8 channel amplifier. I'd expect speakers to be 200$ each (that is hardly extravagant) + 1000$ for an 8 channel amplifier (or more likely 2 4 channel amplifiers) will easily get you to 2600$ before you add in controller units.

I considered the setup from mattamy but I decided against it. My main reason was that speakers are a highly personal selection. I didn't want to spend the money only to be unsatisfied with the sound quality.
Sorry, missed the bit about speakers. I've actually purchased some great speakers in the past from Monoprice, so that would be worth a look-see. They have a full range of in-wall and in-ceiling speakers.
Old 2009-06-17, 12:24 PM
Regular User

Default Sonos, anyone?

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has considered Sonos for their mulit-zone home audio system.

I had the builder run speaker wires from the ceiling to a location next to light switch for volume control and down to basement. I had 8 pairs run like this. I was thinking of using the Sonos to drive these speakers as amp is built into them. To start with, I was going to buy one ZP-120 ($600) for the whole house but then add more zones as needed. Both myself and wife have an iPhone, so we can use it as the control. We can add an iTouch (for control) if needed.

I too am considering ceiling speakers from Monoprice. I have read some really good reviews for them (6.5"). Also volume controls (impedance matching) are on sale at outdoorspeakerdepot for $20.
Old 2009-06-17, 01:08 PM
Regular User

I purchased the 4 room Audio package from Mattamy and love it. The volume controls also have an IR receiver. The speakers sound pretty good. Make sure you make the right decision on where to put the amplifier.
Old 2009-06-17, 02:01 PM
Regular User

Not through Mattamy, but we decided to pay for the wiring runs and volume controls, but we'll be buying and installing our own speakers in three locations. One stereo speaker in the kitchen, then two speakers in the great room and two in the living/dining. We're planning to connect it through the media centre so we can control it remotely through a computer.

Soho West - Kanata

Uh...make that Trailwest...
Old 2009-06-17, 03:10 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejack View Post
I too am considering ceiling speakers from Monoprice. I have read some really good reviews for them (6.5"). Also volume controls (impedance matching) are on sale at outdoorspeakerdepot for $20.
Thanks for the tip on the volume controls!