Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Real Estate Questions

Real Estate Questions Planning on selling your home? Looking to buy a resale? Post your comments and questions here.

Old 2009-09-15, 01:43 PM

Default Use or don't use a Real Estate Agent for NEW homes

I am a first time buyer looking to purchase a new or resale homes.

For the resale homes, my real estate agent, referred to me by my parents, will be bringing me around to see homes.

BUT for a new home from a builder, should I will bring the real estate agent with me? Will the real estate agent being there stop me from getting any extras thrown in that I want to push for?

The way I see it the builder can sell me the house with or without the Real Estate Agent. If the agent is with me, he is getting some sort of commission therefore he is taking money way from the builder's portion of the sale which would limit my bargaining wiggle room.

Am I right in this or am I totally wrong in this? Any help would be greatly appreciated for this first time home buyer.
Old 2009-09-16, 02:18 PM
Regular User

I recently just bought my first home, and I didn't take a real estate agent with me. Really it's up to you and the builder what you are going to get. Basically it comes down to the purchase agreement. They usually have pre set items hidden in their PA, you can choose to accept or not, really..

I would think you would be better off without one, and then going to see a good lawyer to read over your purchase agreement just to fine tune, or highlight the costs involved.
Old 2009-10-05, 01:50 PM
Regular User

It depends, my sister bought a condo at a pre-sales event with the prices being lowered and the selection being much greater since the project was not yet released, and you had to have a real estate agent to get in to the event.
When I purchased my first condo the builder gave us a discount of $2000 if we did not come with a real estate agent.
When we purchased our home we went without an agent again, really I dont think you need one for a new purchase unless its a pre-sales event where it is mandatory.
Old 2009-10-05, 02:13 PM
Regular User

I was able to get both. It depends on the builder. Some even refuse to pay agents commission.

Maybe talk to your agent and have them split the comission with you?

Old 2009-12-16, 11:42 PM
Regular User

We brought our agent with us because this is the first time we bought a house, and the Builder agreed to pay her commission although we felt that our price was somewhat inflated. Our case is a little bit different because our house is a custom built home, everything is negotiable. At the end, we felt we made a good decision because our agent helped us negotiate a number of upgrades.

Old 2009-12-17, 12:32 PM
Regular User

A lot of the builders will price the Real Estate commission in the final price after negotiations are made (they look at their final cost after paying out everyone), so if the builder is not firm on their pricing, and you are willing and capable of going back and forth on the pricing, go without a Real Estate Agent.

If you feel like you can't negotiate at all or really don't feel comfortable with it, the Real Estate Agent may be able to provide some negotiation on the price or upgrades, which would offset the commission that they would get.
416-777-9300