Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-10-16, 08:59 PM
Regular User

Default Sell my homes, should I included all the appliances?

Hi,

I plan to sell my current house in March 2010, and I will move to my new home in June 2010. I just had my kitchen design appointment few days ago, and the kitchen design told me that some of my appliances have to be included when I resale, such as silde in gas stove, dishwasher and hood fan, is that true? And my kitchen designer need the measurement of all my appliances 2 weeks later, so I have to decide to bring my old appliances to the new house or buy a new set.

All my appliances are pretty new, I bought them 2 years ago when I moved in my current home, they are all stainless steels and it costs me around $10k + around $1k installation fee two years ago.

My question is do I have to included all my appliances when I resale my current house? do you guys think I can get back what I paid if I included them with my house?

Thanks
Old 2009-10-16, 09:26 PM
Regular User

sell them with the house. buy new ones for the new house.

you don't have to but you'd get new appliances

Old 2009-10-16, 09:39 PM
Regular User

Our real estate person told us that we only had to include the dishwasher and hoodfan (which is what we did). His reasoning was that then you could use the other appliances as a bargaining tool (instead of having to go down on price). He was very right. Most times the buyer will ask for the appliances so instead of lowering the price, you can just throw in the rest of the appliances that you wanted to get rid of anyway. Worked out great for us!
Old 2009-10-16, 09:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by findlaycreek01 View Post
Our real estate person told us that we only had to include the dishwasher and hoodfan (which is what we did). His reasoning was that then you could use the other appliances as a bargaining tool (instead of having to go down on price). He was very right. Most times the buyer will ask for the appliances so instead of lowering the price, you can just throw in the rest of the appliances that you wanted to get rid of anyway. Worked out great for us!
Since it is my first time to sell my house, your idea sound good to me.
Is there anything I need to know when I sell my house?
Old 2009-10-16, 11:55 PM
Regular User

When I sold my house I did not included appliances on my sale price. When my buyer was negotiating, I told them that I can give them appliances but after that I can not reduce the sale price. So I sold my house for the amount I was asking and If I had included the appliances then I am sure buyer would have asked me to bring the price down.

Buyer always negotiate, if you include the appliances then they will negotiate on price.
Old 2009-10-17, 11:26 AM
Regular User

Another thing you can do is to remove your current expensive appliances and go buy cheaper ones that you will leave with the house. To some extent, buyer expect appliances with the house. This way, you can spend half of what you would on new fancy ones for your new house and you are not taking the risk of buyers negotiating on your "good appliances" that seem to be worth quite a bit; more then the price reduction they might try to negotiate anyways. Check Leons right now they have a good deal on the 3 kitchen appliances for not much...

The only problem with this option is that you will have to find storage somewhere for your current appliances until you move into your new house. Good luck, let us know what you do!
Old 2009-10-17, 11:28 AM
Regular User

I forgot to mention that built ins are expected to stay, like hood fan and dishwasher so replacing them by cheaper ones might be financially a good decision. If buyers see your nice fancy ones, they will expect for those!
Old 2009-10-17, 05:18 PM
Regular User

I'm leaving my stainless steel appliances behind. If the buyer tries to negotiate on the price I'll take them out and sell them on used ottawa. I want new appliances no matter what