Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-01-08, 03:56 PM
Regular User

Default Sound System and Other Electrical Stuff with Tamarack

Hi,
Did you go with Tamarack's supplier for the sound system or other things like conduits, central vac...?

I really know very little about this stuff and I'm trying to figure out what to do.
I do know we will go with a conduit above the fireplace in case we do decide to put our TV above the fireplace. We're also doing the central vac rough-in and the kick-plate in the kitchen.

No clue what to do about the sound system. Is it worth it going through them?
How good is it to have a sound system for movies, music or in-ceiling speakers?

Thanks for any info.
Old 2010-01-08, 04:09 PM
Regular User

I will tell you this much: generally speaking, across all builders, the quality of any in-wall, in-ceiling, etc, speakers will be pretty low for movies. They're "fine" if you want to scatter elevator music across the house but I wouldn't bother paying for them.

For home theater stuff, if you care about sound quality and want a theater-like experience, buy them from an audio shop. What IS worth it is to have them pre-wire the connections for your speakers in the walls -- that is money well spent! It gives you a really clean install (no visible wires) and the wiring is generally good quality. With Tartan I am getting 14awg wiring rated for in-wall use, so crossing my fingers. Worse off, use the wires they provided to fish your own through
Carlan 3 bedrm + loft + end unit! (Lot #83)
Closing May 6th 2010
Old 2010-01-08, 05:54 PM
Regular User

I had them install the pre-wiring and ports for the rear speakers for the reasons TheWulf mentionned. My co-worker said I should have done the same for the front ones also...oh well!

Also, if you know the locations of your computer(s), it would be a good ideal to have them install the cat5 connections in those spots. Do you have a gaming console and play online? If so, it would be a good ideal for a cat5 connection for that spot also.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2010-01-08, 06:10 PM
Regular User

When does one use "in-wall" vs. "in ceiling" speakers?

When you say pre-wire, does that mean there will be a hole in the wall with wires sticking out for us to install speakers to?

Sorry, for these questions. Told you I know nothing of this stuff.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 2010-01-08, 06:34 PM
Regular User

We got them to pre-wire for surround sound in the basement for our home theatre and install a conduit for hdmi, and got an extra plug in the ceiling for our projector. Since our basement came finished this was a must. They used 14 guage speaker wire which is more than adequate for the length of runs installed.

We also went with in-ceiling speakers on the main floor, they're not earth shaking, but provide decent background music.

Pre-wiring means they will run speaker wire to a location and it will be sticking out of the wall unless you have them install a wall plate (fyi - you'll pay about 20x more than what the wall plate costs from somewhere like monoprice.com if you get them to do it). Of course all the speaker wires have to go somewhere, so you'll need to decide where you'll have your receiver and components located and they'll run all of the speakers wires to that central location.
Old 2010-01-08, 08:42 PM
Regular User

Conduits are cheap with them, ~30 or $40 each so put lots of them. At least 1 per room in the key locations.
Old 2010-01-09, 10:00 PM
Regular User

Hey Sarcol! I am in a bit of a hurry so not much time to elaborate for now...but I am having the Sonos system installed. Cost: $1400 (comes with speakers and an 8GB iPod Touch)...this is on the main floor only. Will add upstairs and basement later...

Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek
Closing: November 28th, 2013

Old 2010-01-11, 08:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayCat View Post
Hey Sarcol! I am in a bit of a hurry so not much time to elaborate for now...but I am having the Sonos system installed. Cost: $1400 (comes with speakers and an 8GB iPod Touch)...this is on the main floor only. Will add upstairs and basement later...
Holy crap that's a lot of money! What does that include? We just had the pre-wiring done and I bought my own speakers and equipment.