Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2010-04-04, 10:45 AM

Default Has anyone sold privately lately?

We have a beautiful new townhome that is two years old that we are going to sell. Has anyone sold privately through companies like private real estate?

If so I would not mind a quick chat.

Thanks.
Old 2010-04-04, 08:19 PM
Regular User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlalande View Post
We have a beautiful new townhome that is two years old that we are going to sell. Has anyone sold privately through companies like private real estate?

Thanks.

We sold privately a month and a half ago. We staged our home ourselves by removing clutter, and reading different magazines. We bought a couple of signs at staples, totalling $30.00. Put a sign in the ground in front of our house, on a Thursday, posted on kijiji and had an open house on that Sunday. Lots of traffic from the other open houses in the area, since we posted our open house signs by the other open house signs.
I got an email that night from one of the people who came through telling me they were interested in making an offer an we arranged a time for them to come to our home and make it.
It was very comfortable and easy.
One tip, price your house well. Meaning, do not ask exactly what everyone else is, take in to consideration you are not paying realtor fees and knock at least $5000.00 off what your home is valued at. We got asking, they tried to come in $3000.00 less, but we told them that we knew the value and wanted asking. They did not hesitate and we brought the offer to our lawyer, as did they. My lawyer charged me $200.00 for that deal.
I would recommend private in a heart beat in this market. If you have a great product, and good price your home will sell, you do not need an agent for that, or the private real estate companies either.

Another tip, we hired a cleaning lady the day before the open house so that we could focus on the staging. We also sent our dogs for a sleep over the Friday before the open house and sent the bird and kids to grandmas.

Goodluck!
Old 2010-04-05, 10:40 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlalande View Post

Thanks.
We sold our town home through Private Real Estate. It was very simple and quick. It sold within a week. I highly recommend doing it as it saved us approx 16K in agent fees. I have seen several for sale privately in our area (The Orchard) and they all go within a few weeks.
If your house shows well, it will sell it's self and there is no need to pay an agent 5% commission especially in this market.