Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane

Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane For residents and soon-to-be residents of Stouffvilles Main Street and River Ridge, Great Gulf Homes, Fieldgate, Greenpark and more!

Old 2010-05-06, 01:53 PM

Default National Home Services

Guys,

Is anyone familiar with National Home Services? A rep was around trying to get me to change, my water heater to an Energy Star water heater? Considering I have been in the house less than 2 years, just wondering if its worth it or just more headache? We already pay for Gas/water heater rental through Enbridge. Is it worth the trouble?

-Jake

Old 2010-05-06, 04:12 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake View Post
Guys,

Is anyone familiar with National Home Services? A rep was around trying to get me to change, my water heater to an Energy Star water heater? Considering I have been in the house less than 2 years, just wondering if its worth it or just more headache? We already pay for Gas/water heater rental through Enbridge. Is it worth the trouble?

-Jake

Don't even bother. I hope you didn't give them/show them any information.. Most times, they work out to be a "Scam" that ends up locking you into a contract.
Old 2010-05-06, 07:10 PM
Regular User

Default Beware!!!!

The rep just showed up at our door and these guys are a total scam. DO NOT EVEN LET HIM IN THE DOOR. My fiance worked for a competitor and knows the way they work. National Home Services are in the business for contracts only and have zero repair/maintenance options.

They trick you into upgrading to their new higher efficiency tank but when you sign you are actually signing a 10 year contract. They have no affiliation to Direct Energy or Reliance and are only in the business to scab competitors customers.

Go to www.burnedatthedoor.com to see the way these fraudulent people work.

Do not let them in the door-they will right down your serial #
Do not sign anything even if they say its just to prove they were here
Do not show them your bill- so they can extract any info

If you happen to sign anything, I believe you have 10 day grace period to cancel so I would call immediately and cancel

Good Luck
Old 2010-05-07, 08:15 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squib View Post
The rep just showed up at our door and these guys are a total scam. DO NOT EVEN LET HIM IN THE DOOR. My fiance worked for a competitor and knows the way they work. National Home Services are in the business for contracts only and have zero repair/maintenance options.

They trick you into upgrading to their new higher efficiency tank but when you sign you are actually signing a 10 year contract. They have no affiliation to Direct Energy or Reliance and are only in the business to scab competitors customers.

Go to www.burnedatthedoor.com to see the way these fraudulent people work.

Do not let them in the door-they will right down your serial #
Do not sign anything even if they say its just to prove they were here
Do not show them your bill- so they can extract any info

If you happen to sign anything, I believe you have 10 day grace period to cancel so I would call immediately and cancel

Good Luck
Exactly, Just shut the door on them if they have anything to do with any utilities (gas, hydro, water heater etc) If it's the utility company and they need to do maintenance, insist that they call you to book an appointment.

You can never be too care or even too rude when dealing with these SCAM ARTISTS
Old 2010-05-07, 11:20 AM
Regular User

FYI your renting from direct energy not Enbridge. DE uses the Enbridge bill..

DE does not lock you in for 15 years like some of these companies. And please dont confuse EnergyStar with high efficiency.. I work for DE and attend a dozen calls a week to see our rental customers after these door knockers have been by,,,, and explain the facts..

If someone comes to your door as how efficient the tank is? Energystar decals are on natural draft tanks wich at best are 64% and there lowest 56% efficient, Your not getting into efficiency till you get a tankless at 80% for about 35$ a month or a real high efficiency tank that is around 45$ a month. High efficiency = 90+% and uses a condensing heat exchanger.

I was called to water heater a few weeks back, customer changed to XYZ heating and thought they were still with us.. man where they ever mad when i explained there in the hands of the company that said they where Direct Energy! They are stuck now..

Buzz words they use at the door: Green,ECO,Energystar,carbon foot print all the typical feel good BS.... Fact is most have higher rent for the exact same tank with a energystar decal... tanks that are 10years old maybe the same efficiency just dont have a decal.
Old 2010-06-27, 11:26 AM

Default Direct Energy is pathetic.

Direct energy call theirs customers and scares the crap out of them by telling them not to open their doors to national home services. Why? Because National home services is offering their customers the highest efficient tanks for free, that direct energy charges their customers for. NHS has a free maintenance plan where they come in to clean and run testing on the tank and pipes = that direct energy does not even have, o and of course a 15 year term which only means that they come in every 5 years to clean and run testing on it until the 15th year when you would get a free replacement. Direct Energy does not clean their customers tanks, they leave them to burst, leak water and etc before they come to even look at it. OO and their is a pvc pipe that is no longer up to code because engineers have found that it is cracking and bringing in carbon monoxide into homes. Direct Energy does not tell their customers about this because they don't care. Instead of informing their customers and replacing it for free they charge their customers $300 for the piping replacement. Don't believe me call them and ask how much it is to switch a PVC pipe(illegal pipe) to an ABS pipe(legal pipe). This pipe is no joke and that's why National Home Services does the replacement for free after all we are taking about CARBON MONOXIDE. Direct Energy is a UK company who doesn't give a **** about their Canadian customers. National Home Services is a Canadian company that does! Every week 1000's of DE customers switch to National Home Services because they have the best water heating service, legal pipes, the highest efficient tank oo and of course they are a Canadian company. Direct Energy is scared that their customers are getting smarter and switching thats why they scare them into not even speaking to NHS. Their such pathetic money hungry theives.
Old 2010-06-27, 12:22 PM
Regular User

Wow. That's a long paragraph.
Old 2010-06-27, 12:34 PM
Regular User

See the following article in The Toronto Star regarding National Home Services and how some people got fleeced by their agents.

http://www.thestar.com/article/463378

"Direct Energy rents about 1.4 million water heaters to Enbridge Gas clients. It says the sales agents working for National Home Services are providing "misleading and incorrect information."

The company has received 1,700 customer calls in the past two weeks about agents going door to door for National Home Services, said Bob Huggard, president of home and business services.

Rival sales agents are telling people that Direct Energy's water heaters are unsafe, he says.

They're saying the tanks are inefficient if more than five years old. In fact, the average lifespan is 16 years."