Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-07-02, 11:32 PM
Regular User

Default Lawnmower repair service Ottawa

Folks, I ran the lawnmower over a rock earlier today and now it won't start. It's a gas mower with Briggs and Stratton engine. I've been reading up on this and it seems the flywheel maybe sheared.

I will try to check a few other things tomorrow but can you recommend any lawnmower/small engine repair shop, preferably in Barrhaven and surrounding areas (I am not mechanically-inclined). I bought this mower second-hand 3 years ago so am I better off just getting another one?

Thanks.
Old 2010-07-03, 08:39 AM
Regular User

My husband always took our small engine repairs to this place in Manotick, which is close enough to Barrhaven.
I find out the name and post back.
Old 2010-07-03, 09:45 AM
Regular User

thanks Cosmogrrl, figure I'd make a couple of phone calls to qualified shops and know my options before deciding to take this apart and fix it or go with something else.

It has served us well the past 3 years. Stuff happened I guess. I will make sure no rock will lie around in our backyard, moving forward. We have the bigger ones surrounding the flower beds but they are sitting nicely in a trench so that's alright.
Old 2010-07-03, 10:44 AM
Regular User

Oh we've done that. Darn rocks!
My husband was also about to launch our snowblower but they took it in on no notice (middle of that wicke March snowstorm three years ago) and they made it as good as new! And it was a free hand-me-down!
Old 2010-07-03, 01:45 PM
Regular User

Cosmogrrl, I found this place via Google and called to inquire. Very nice lady picked up the phone and told me to bring the lawnmower down. I think this is a mom-and-pop shop where the husband and son do the job. Can you confirm this is the right place when you have a chance?

I will probably bring it down on Monday...will try to tinker a little bit later on. With the right tools and the right people, I don't think it will cost much to fix this. Otherwise, I may as well get something new.

Cowan's Small Engine Repair

2770 River Rd, Manotick K4M 1B4, ON

p: 6138262383

Thanks.
Old 2010-07-05, 10:18 AM
Regular User

Another quick question about mower, how or what is the best way to sharpen the mower blade? Do we have to hire somone to do that? My mower is around 3 years old, and I think it is time to sharpen the blade.
Any suggestion?
Old 2010-07-05, 06:12 PM
Regular User

I am happy to report that my lawnmower works again! I didn't bring it to the aforementioned place, i just spinned the blade a few times, making sure the crankshaft is not bent and I also made sure there is nothing underneath the lawnmower.

The puppy started again, i turned it off and then re-started and it came on again

richard: I also would like to know that as well. I have replaced the filter and made sure there is enough oil and gas in the tank but I have not sharpened the blade nor replaced the carburetor.

I guess there is a little bit of maintenance to keep our lawnmowers going strong.
Old 2010-07-06, 10:05 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
I am happy to report that my lawnmower works again! I didn't bring it to the aforementioned place, i just spinned the blade a few times, making sure the crankshaft is not bent and I also made sure there is nothing underneath the lawnmower.

The puppy started again, i turned it off and then re-started and it came on again

richard: I also would like to know that as well. I have replaced the filter and made sure there is enough oil and gas in the tank but I have not sharpened the blade nor replaced the carburetor.

I guess there is a little bit of maintenance to keep our lawnmowers going strong.
I just find that we can buy an universal replacement blade from Home Depot or Rona for around $15~$20 (depend on the blade size, the price is not bad), I will buy one this weekend and I will let you know the result.
Old 2010-07-06, 10:29 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiorichard View Post
Another quick question about mower, how or what is the best way to sharpen the mower blade? Do we have to hire somone to do that? My mower is around 3 years old, and I think it is time to sharpen the blade.
Any suggestion?
No joke, there used to be a guy that would drive around my old neighbourhood on weeknights and weekends in a truck that offered sharpening services, for mower blades, saws, knives, etc.

I know that you can also have people do house calls, or you can bring the blade into your local Home Hardware.
Old 2010-07-06, 10:43 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_ottawa View Post
No joke, there used to be a guy that would drive around my old neighbourhood on weeknights and weekends in a truck that offered sharpening services, for mower blades, saws, knives, etc.

I know that you can also have people do house calls, or you can bring the blade into your local Home Hardware.
I can vouch for that as I have seen a similar guy going around.
Moved In: April 10th 2010