Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2010-10-30, 01:22 AM
Regular User

Default Gas Line Increase

In the Decour Center options there is an option to increase the Gas line from 3/4" to 1". I was wondering if this can be done after closing? thanks.
Old 2010-10-30, 08:05 AM
Regular User

sure, but if your basement is finished or the gas line has a less then direct route to the furnace room, it could cost you more after the fact and or destrol alot of drywall.. My home for instance has the line enter the right side of the house in the garage. Travels over the ceiling and back down the wall in the basement... All in drywall. So it would be a nightmare to redo my line in 1" after the fact..

1" is only really needed if your planning to go tankless after the fact..
Old 2010-11-01, 04:33 PM
Regular User

suggest you speak to hvac firm about capacity

gas furnace, stove? 1 or 2 fireplaces? gas hwt, gas dryer?, gas bbq?, pool heater?
Old 2010-11-01, 05:39 PM
Regular User

Need to know what you plan to do in the future and the length of the longest run of pipe. I can give you an idea from my piping charts... Safe bet is 1" its not till you get into pool heaters that you would need much more then that.
Old 2010-11-01, 07:26 PM
Regular User

TKG26, thanks for the feedback

I am planning to have a Gas stove range and a Gas Dryer for clothes, plus planning to have a tankless water heater probably in 3 years time. But after closing, it would just be Gas Stove Range, Furnace and Water Heater. Still have not yet fully decided on Gas Dryer.

As I understand, 3/4" gas line is for 3 purposes, Furnace, Water Heater and one more purpose, which would be Gas stove Range. If I would like to have a Gas Dryer then it is already beyond the 3 limit for the 3/4" line. Thus the reason for the inquiry.
Old 2010-11-01, 08:12 PM
Regular User

Gas pipe is sized according to total load and longest line in the system. A 3/4" line can do 3 or more it all depends on the inputs and lenght of pipe.

You should opt for the 1" line if the tankless is coming down the road. Tankless inputs are in the 180,000btu range. More then most furnace,waterheater and fireplaces combined!
Old 2010-11-01, 10:47 PM
Regular User

Hi TKG26, Thanks for the response. Cannot already change it thru the builder as my 10 days to make changes to the Decour Center Options has already elapsed. Thus, I was wondering if this still can be changed?
Old 2010-11-02, 07:04 AM
Regular User

oh yes, it can be changed. ITs done all the time.. We add gas pipe to homes that used to be electric or gas heated. And we upgrade lines when needed for tankless or poolheaters.. so yes it can be done after the fact...

It can be messy at times... just depends the layout of the home and the amount of pipe that gets concealed behind drywall.
Old 2010-11-02, 06:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
suggest you speak to hvac firm about capacity

gas furnace, stove? 1 or 2 fireplaces? gas hwt, gas dryer?, gas bbq?, pool heater?
thanks for your feedback.
Old 2010-11-02, 06:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
oh yes, it can be changed. ITs done all the time.. We add gas pipe to homes that used to be electric or gas heated. And we upgrade lines when needed for tankless or poolheaters.. so yes it can be done after the fact...

It can be messy at times... just depends the layout of the home and the amount of pipe that gets concealed behind drywall.
Thanks. That's good to know.