Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Oakville

Old 2010-12-08, 11:01 AM

Question question on holes on the pink "styro" boards

our house is still 4 months away from closing and 2-3 wks away fm frame walk. however, we passed by the place this week and noticed quite a few holes on these pink styrofoam insulation boards (1.5 inch by 1.5 inch size mostly or one area where it was cut through with a saw or cutter blade). the styrofoam boards look similar to this:

http://westernmaterials.myeshowroom.com/brochure/14203

are these nicks/holes part of the process? we're quite sure these are not holes for vents or pipes.

at this point, do we ask the builder to spray foam insulation on the holes? (i doubt they will replace the board altogether later on). some parts of the house already have these "cotton candy like insulation fibers covering the pink styrofoam boards" too so not sure what these pinky styrofoam boards' purpose is (assuming it's for insulation).

thanks for your thoughts
Old 2010-12-08, 12:17 PM
Regular User

Our house too : They said no need to replace the pink piece with the insulation going in ontop of it on the inside and the Tyvex covering it on the outside it was normal. Not to happy about it for the price u pay for a new build.
Old 2010-12-08, 08:38 PM

thanks for the insights. will try to see what the builder can do to help. worth a try...
Old 2010-12-08, 09:59 PM
Regular User

Typically the builder will / should come back prior to the installation of the brick and seal the gaps with tuck tape or spray foam insulation. The tape would be for the seams and the foam for the large size gaps. This is being done to conform to the new insulation standards. If I can ask, who's your builder?
Old 2010-12-12, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme View Post
Typically the builder will / should come back prior to the installation of the brick and seal the gaps with tuck tape or spray foam insulation. The tape would be for the seams and the foam for the large size gaps. This is being done to conform to the new insulation standards. If I can ask, who's your builder?
thanks for the inputs itsme. branthaven's my builder. so far they havent sealed or foamed anything, however, they hvnt laid any bricks either so maybe in due time - did note it to the builder already however.

im actually surprised that there's at least 10 holes that i see already on a 2 storey house- am not familiar with the bldg process, is this normal?

when you say foam for "large size" gaps, how large do the gaps need to be for them to foam it? the sizes ive seen range frm 0.5 inch by 0.5 inch holes up to 1.5-2in by 2inches. (eg size of hole in toilet paper cone, for example. some have been sawed eg. like a cutter went through it, thin but long)

used to have an account here, so i think you own a bhaven one too? lost my pword (both for buildinghomes and my email) hence i had to create new account.
Old 2010-12-12, 11:49 AM
Regular User

unfortunately, with the speed at which the build crew is putting up a house- there's bound to be some damage to the styrofoam. Not to mention some inaccurate cuts. However Branthaven is usually good at going back and sealing the boards with tape and foam. A 2 inch hole should receive foam. When you brought your concerns to the builder, what did he say?
Old 2010-12-13, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme View Post
unfortunately, with the speed at which the build crew is putting up a house- there's bound to be some damage to the styrofoam. Not to mention some inaccurate cuts. However Branthaven is usually good at going back and sealing the boards with tape and foam. A 2 inch hole should receive foam. When you brought your concerns to the builder, what did he say?
hv pm'ed you instead to reply.
Old 2010-12-13, 01:15 PM
Regular User

storminvader, pm sent