Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-08-02, 03:05 PM

Default When to sell a house?

What are people's opinions on when to sell a house. Right now, we have a move-in date to our new place in mid-June 2012. However, we were offered an earlier closing and we are considering maybe going with June 1.

We've never sold a house before and wondered what people thought about when is the most enticing (on average) time for people to move-in.....in the middle of a month, at the end of a month or at the beginning of a month??

Personally, I would have thought moving in at the end of a month or beginning of a month would be preferable, however, June 1, might not appeal to many people over, say, june 14 (closer to the end of school for the kids).

Thoughts?
Old 2011-08-02, 03:28 PM
Regular User

we always buy/sell mid-month - everything is less busy - lawyers, movers, etc

in Ottawa area it likely won't matter much
Old 2011-08-02, 03:31 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris91 View Post
What are people's opinions on when to sell a house. Right now, we have a move-in date to our new place in mid-June 2012. However, we were offered an earlier closing and we are considering maybe going with June 1.

We've never sold a house before and wondered what people thought about when is the most enticing (on average) time for people to move-in.....in the middle of a month, at the end of a month or at the beginning of a month??

Personally, I would have thought moving in at the end of a month or beginning of a month would be preferable, however, June 1, might not appeal to many people over, say, june 14 (closer to the end of school for the kids).

Thoughts?
It is really hard to say. It depends what area you are in and if the demand is high or low. We just sold our present home in 3 weeks for an Oct 14/11 Close, our new home is closing Oct 13. In our case the demand is high but with that said our first offer was for a date 3 weeks away which we declined. This can be used as a barganing tool when you do get an offer.

It all depends if you are ready to live somewhere in between moves of selling and your new home being ready or not.

Do take into consideration begining of school year, alot of people prefer to move in a new neighbourhood before school starts if they have children and will be attending a new school.

All I can say it is the luck of the draw.

Good luck!
Old 2011-08-02, 03:43 PM
Regular User

The closing date is really a negociating tool used throughout the process of the sale. In our case we just sold and we informed all potential buyers that our closing date was firm and that it would not be changed. The only thing that could change it down the road is being offered an early close by the builder and if it made economical sense for us. Our closing date is Nov 1 on the new home.

That right off the bat pushed some buyers away as they were looking for something earlier then what we were offering. However leaving our house, putting stuff in storage and finding a short term rental was not an option for us so we were firm on that.

I think it also depends on who your buyers are. If they are renters they may want closer to the end of the month that will work with the end of their lease.

Mid month may be easier as mentionned above for availability but I think in the end of it all the closing date isn't something that will push a buyer away if we are only talking about 2-3 weeks.
Ex-Minto Homeowner