Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-08-20, 10:49 PM
Regular User

Default Location Location Location Mattamy homes

I have a question about what people's preferences are about where they want to have their home built. I will hopefully (fingers cross) have purchase a Highwood style house in Half moon bay by the end of the week. the only problem is, Can't decide where to have it build.

So wanted to know if people like having the house facing a school, other single homes, or townhouses and is it better to have a school behind you or other homes.

Would really like peoples feedback because I have never lived in a house so I dont know what to accept.
THAnks
HAjer
Old 2011-08-21, 03:43 AM
Regular User

I would pick a house on a quiet crescent or circle. I would stay away from a house facing or beside a school because they have a lot of traffic during the morning and afternoon. Schools are mostly on main roads. Houses backing on the school is a good option if you don't want to have houses behind you. It does get a little noisy during recess time.

Last edited by tzak; 2011-08-21 at 03:45 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 2011-08-21, 08:08 AM
Regular User

Here's some comments based on my experiences and preferences ... lots of differing views.

Location wise you lose a lot of loacation points just by being in a Mattamy neighbourhood. The high density creates narrow shallow lots. Front too close to road - driveway, noise, reduced curb appeal. No side yards. Very shallow back yards. Clearly 000s are not bothered by this, but I couldn't live in any Mattamy 'hood or similar by other builders.

What you front onto:

Several agents in Bhaven told me that its 50 50 regarding peoples preferences being across from a school - Stoneway cres was the target. A couple of high traffic periods 2 x a day is one. Proximity to school, no driveays across, or cars parked +.

Sidewalks are bad - usually means more traffic (collector street), city buses, and snow removal is a pita.

The less density across the road is better. The less density on the entire street the better - especially in summer with cars parked along the street.

Regarding backyard, the wider and deeper the better. The less rear neighbours the better. IMO backing onto a school is good - there is no noise when you are most likely to be in your yard relaxing evenings, weekends, summer.

Backing onto a park or greenspace is best.

Backing onto to a heavily travelled road is bad.

We try to buy with south facing rear yard. The worst is west facing rear yard - too hot for me. An east facing rear yard is better than west - morning sun, afternoon shade.

Hope this helps ... g2k

Last edited by good2know; 2011-08-21 at 08:12 AM.
Old 2011-08-21, 11:36 AM
Regular User

better stay away from school, traffic, noise, but element school is better than high school for you. For the convenience of your child and the other things.