Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-08-22, 10:03 AM

Default Quick question about "putting the word out"

I just had a quick question and wanted to see what other people have done, or maybe some creative advice.

We will be putting our house up on the market early next year (early march most likely) and was wondering how people put the word out that their house would be for sale to generate some early interest. I know if you have a real estate agent, some may tell their clients about it, but we are most likely going to use grapevine, so we can't really do that.

I know another way is to just let people you know at work about the house. We've done that too, but we both work downtown and no one is too interested in living in Kanata, or they have relatively new homes themselves.

So, how have other people (I assume others do this, as I've offhand heard of several stories in my neighbourhood alone of people getting offers before their house is even on the market - but this is through friends of friends, so i'm not sure how they "put the word out" so to speak) gone about doing this? I know it's a bit hoaky to ask, but I am curious.
Old 2011-08-22, 11:21 AM
Regular User

used ottawa, kijiji, ottawaliving, craigs list, tell all the neighbours
Old 2011-08-22, 01:50 PM

Thanks for those ideas....but I don't ever really recall seeing many, if any, properties listed on those sites and saying they *will* be for sale in 6 months (or 8, or 10..etc...).

Do people actually post this kind of information on those sites?
Old 2011-08-22, 02:01 PM
Regular User

word of mouth through neighbours is probably the best way, seeing that you're so far out from actually putting the house up for sale.

Old 2011-08-22, 02:18 PM
Regular User

my house is always for sale

it hurts nothing to run an ad with a long close date

I would say / do nothing unless you are prepared to show the house and entertain offers
Old 2011-08-22, 05:56 PM
Regular User

The Metro grocery store near me has a front board and people post all sorts of stuff for sale up.

Maybe post some flyers up in neighbourhoods that consist mainly of town homes. There could be someone interested in upgrading to a single house early next year.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-08-22, 06:12 PM
Regular User

I will be in the same boat soon - we are going to put our house up in a couple of months. I do have the advantage of working close to where I live so I am telling everyone at work who will listen - and even considering putting up in our work newsletter.
I am also talking about it with the neighbours, at the local pool, playdates, if you have kids who do activities in your area, talk about it at soccer, gymnastics, ballet, etc... I just keep talking about it. My neighbour just sold her house last month and on the way home from my run this afternoon, I welcomed the new lady to the neighbourhood and then nicely hinted that if she had any friends who like the area, my house will be up soon!
My husband would NEVER do things like this but I am comfortable. Just keep talking about it wherever you are!

Best of luck!
Old 2011-08-22, 07:43 PM
Regular User

Don't forget about , Twitter and other social media platforms. Not sure if you have accounts on those places but a simple post can go a long way.

As always, set your privacy settings accordingly.
Old 2011-08-23, 08:50 AM

Thanks for all the ideas everyone...i'll probably try some of them and more of them as we get close to putting our house up for sale.
Old 2011-08-23, 12:42 PM
Regular User

good luck