Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-08-22, 03:43 PM

Default Location location location - Mattamy Fairwinds

Hello there - My boyfriend and I are looking into purchasing a home with Mattamy in the near future, to be delivered early 2012. We are trying to decide on a lot location... we have 3 options :
1) On Coriolis Court... and our backyard would be boarded by stores in the future (Metro, etc...)
2) Directly on Huntmar Drive... but we don't live in the area and have no idea if it's a busy street and if it's a good idea for little kids in the future, especially considering the commercial phase coming in near.
3) On Brigatine Avenue... but we'd pay a couple thousands to have quietness.

Any advice?

Thanks for your help!!
Old 2011-08-22, 05:01 PM
Regular User

1. transport trucks with engines running make deliveries all night

2. a busy north south artery connecting east and south stittsville to the 417 - 100% no way for small children

3. best of these choices
Old 2011-08-22, 05:31 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
1. transport trucks with engines running make deliveries all night

2. a busy north south artery connecting east and south stittsville to the 417 - 100% no way for small children

3. best of these choices
That's where we originally bought, and it is a good choice given those above specifics. Although, I believe it will be the 'main road' on that side of Huntmar/Phase 5. Are any of the smaller streets within that area released yet?
Old 2011-08-22, 06:22 PM

Thanks your advice!
For the upcoming phase, they'll build on Coriolis Court, Brigatine Avenue, Khamsin street and Gallantry Way. I'm not too keen on Gallantry Way since there will be future residential in the future, which makes me think construction trucks will be on that street frequently during the building phase.
I'm thinking we might choose a lot on Brigatine with the park behind us and no neighbours. We'd be getting less upgrades in the house, but location is not something that be changed in the future.
Old 2011-08-22, 06:31 PM
Regular User

We had also previously bought on Brigatine for that reason. We had a real estate agent with us when we were looking at lots and she said that on Huntmar there would be a significant reduction in the resale value because it will become a main roadway (apparently there are plans at the city to possibly widen the road eventually). When we were looking back in 2008 they were including a free a/c unit for houses on Huntmar and apparently this is standard when they think the noise level on the street will exceed a certain decibel amount.

I have to say though - at the time they charged us $7K for a small standard sized lot on Brigatine. With any other builder, if you pay this amount you get a significantly larger lot. We left Mattamy and went to Urbandale and paid $10K to get a large pie shaped lot that is double the width at the back from what we had at Mattamy and we're on a much quieter street. Mattamy has lower house prices but in our experience we found they made up for it by having less upgrades as standard and by charging a lot price that is normally standard for other builders. Just something we experienced.

Old 2011-08-23, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug2603 View Post
Hello there - My boyfriend and I are looking into purchasing a home with Mattamy in the near future, to be delivered early 2012. We are trying to decide on a lot location... we have 3 options :
1) On Coriolis Court... and our backyard would be boarded by stores in the future (Metro, etc...)
2) Directly on Huntmar Drive... but we don't live in the area and have no idea if it's a busy street and if it's a good idea for little kids in the future, especially considering the commercial phase coming in near.
3) On Brigatine Avenue... but we'd pay a couple thousands to have quietness.

Any advice?

Thanks for your help!!
Location Location Location. As viewed from the attached site plan the most desirable locations would be the circle backing onto greenery. The lots 13, 14, 15, 16 on Coriolis look really good as do the ones on 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 57, 58, and 59 on On Brigatine Avenue..definitely worth the extra if you can. Just my opinion.

WE purchased with Tamarack and we are on a circle backing onto greenery...a definite plus if you can.

Good luck in your choice and good luck with the Mattamy Home. hope it is everything you wished for.
Old 2011-08-23, 01:36 PM
Regular User

People there should be aware and expect to hear a lot of traffic noise from Hazeldean and the 417
Old 2011-08-23, 02:17 PM
Regular User

Nice to see they are offering more options as standard with these houses. Since ourr base price went up $130k from when we originally bought three years ago (we purchased lot 45 - still like that lot).
Old 2011-08-23, 02:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
People there should be aware and expect to hear a lot of traffic noise from Hazeldean and the 417
I used to live in Fairwinds and you can not hear traffic from the queensway you are far enough away from it. as for Hazeldean not sure they were widening the road when we moved

Now the noise coming from the scotia bank place is another thing. I sure do not miss that

Old 2011-08-23, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
Nice to see they are offering more options as standard with these houses. Since ourr base price went up $130k from when we originally bought three years ago (we purchased lot 45 - still like that lot).
I just love how they have trade marked the word "Wide Lots", lol just the McDonalds trade marked the word "100% pure beef"