Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-08-04, 07:59 PM
Regular User

Default Loose screws on the roof

Folks, I just noticed a bunch of loose screws on my roof. Sorry for the picture quality, it was taken through a window but I hope you can see the loose screws.

I can't remember if I saw this prior to the 30-day list (and subsequently did not record it on the 30-day list) but I will be sure to mention this to the builder rep when he comes over next week to address some outstanding items.

Any idea what might have caused this? We have not had any major storm this summer. One thing is we recently have eaves installed, I wasn't home when the work was done so I can't tell whether the guys might have been up there.

Old 2012-08-04, 09:27 PM
Regular User

Probably just sloppy workers. We had the same thing. Get them over to clean up ASAP as someone could step on these if they fall on your lawn
Old 2012-08-04, 10:19 PM
Regular User

They are roofing nails, for securing shingles. They were left behind by the roofers. In general, finding loose nails is one of the indicators that makes me look closer at the workmanship, as in general, workers that do not clean up their work usually don't care about the quality of their work. Look for other problems, such as damaged, missing, and loose shingles, and shingles that don't lie flat [that is, leading edges of the shingles are lifted].

WEB: www.ackerhome.ca
PHONE: 613-447-9660
E-MAIL: phil@ackerhome.ca

Last edited by Inspector Phil Acker; 2012-08-04 at 10:22 PM.
Old 2012-08-04, 10:26 PM
Regular User

If your brave enough and the pitch of the roof isn't too great, you could climb out and pick them up yourselves. The builder will probably just sweep them into your eaves. Chances are there are more nails on your main roof so you'll be doing it a few times.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2012-08-05, 08:18 AM
Regular User

As per Brian's message, maybe one of those magnet brooms would help with the job.

I'm surprised they haven't blown down.
Old 2012-08-05, 09:04 AM
Regular User

Typical crap job by crappy Ottawa trades.
Old 2012-08-06, 09:16 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
Folks, I just noticed a bunch of loose screws on my roof. Sorry for the picture quality, it was taken through a window but I hope you can see the loose screws.

I can't remember if I saw this prior to the 30-day list (and subsequently did not record it on the 30-day list) but I will be sure to mention this to the builder rep when he comes over next week to address some outstanding items.

Any idea what might have caused this? We have not had any major storm this summer. One thing is we recently have eaves installed, I wasn't home when the work was done so I can't tell whether the guys might have been up there.
I had a few of these in a similar place and stubbornly didn't come down on their own. When I put up the Christmas lights last year I swept them down with a broom (using my ladder) and collected them from the gutters.

Last edited by Trepex; 2012-08-08 at 09:48 AM.
Old 2012-08-07, 12:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Nimble View Post
Typical crap job by crappy Ottawa trades.
You said it.

This is what my roof looked like too.
Old 2012-08-07, 09:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Come on man... stop thread-sh*tting. This sort of thing isn't limited to Ottawa - it happens everywhere.
Does that make it any better? I'm not quite sure what is wrong with what he said. It really can be hard to find trades that take pride in what they do. Of course they do exist, but they tend to be more the exception than the rule these days. Too bad!
Old 2012-08-07, 11:13 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
First, it's just a few nails. If the roof was well-done, I'd take that any day. They're rushed an didn't do a great cleanup. I can deal with that.

However, that wasn't really my point. OP's question was fair and I think my reply was reasonable. I'm just sick of coming on here and finding a new thread where a couple usual suspects are regularly dissing one of the main builders in Ottawa, acting like Ottawa is such a hole and has terrible trades. Do a search, you'll see an increasing number of unconstructive posts in recent threads. If that's the way BuildingHomes is going then fine, I'll just choose not to be a part of it. Things haven't always been like this, at least not in the Ottawa sub-forums that I've always frequented. Sure there was debate and we discussed controversial issues, but the recent and constant Tartan and Tamarack bashing is just really starting to piss me off.
All I said was "You said it" "Thats what my roof looked like too".

I didn't mention any builder or bash Ottawa in general, although I DO think that the trades here are generally worse than other regions, but that's besides the point, and NOT what I posted.

Although a few nails don't seem like a huge deal to you, there are side effects, both of which I've had the misfortune of suffering;

a) get a flat tire, that no one will pay for, and these can cost 200$ each, and really, tires should be replaced as a set, or at the very least PAIRS, so you could be looking at 1000$ because some tools decided to leave some nails

b) a child or even an adult, could run one through their foot, this happened to me as a child, and it wasn't pleasant

Cleanup is part of doing a good job, and as another poster mentioned, it's often indicative of pride in workmanship, and COULD be a good indicator of the quality of work. It seems like a handful of people are always downplaying the severity of every mistake the trades make, constantly making excuses for them. Perhaps if you had to replace a set of tires worth over 1000$, you may feel differently about "just a few nails", or if one ran through your foot.

You shouldn't take offense so easily, no comment was directed specifically at you, or to offend you, not by me, or the others.

Chill man, no one's intent is to offend anyone.

Last edited by master0068; 2012-08-07 at 11:23 PM.