Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2013-03-18, 11:48 PM
Regular User

Default Wall Mounted Chimney Questions

How do you go about selected one?

What should I look for other than style?

What is the standard CFM and what should I look for, are there specific brands that are good for vents? I would like something that isn't too loud but can also do the job.

I was also told about some kind of fan that is located almost outside so when it's turned on, you don't even hear it. Does anyone know what this is?

Open to other ideas as well. Not sure what would look ideal. 10ft ceilings with a gas rangetop.

thanks again.

Last edited by McManGQ; 2013-03-19 at 12:07 AM.
Old 2013-03-19, 10:46 AM
Regular User

If you cook alot, Sakura is the best range to get
Old 2013-03-19, 11:32 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by McManGQ View Post
How do you go about selected one?

What should I look for other than style?

What is the standard CFM and what should I look for, are there specific brands that are good for vents? I would like something that isn't too loud but can also do the job.

I was also told about some kind of fan that is located almost outside so when it's turned on, you don't even hear it. Does anyone know what this is?

Open to other ideas as well. Not sure what would look ideal. 10ft ceilings with a gas rangetop.

thanks again.
Kobe makes some fantastic hood fans. Some of the quietest you'll ever find too. Many including hoods from Kobe and Broan have an option for an in-duct or external blower instead of internal. Gets pricey really quick though, so that's why we opted for the Kobe. They sell the 10-ft ceiling extension kit for ~$200.

Here's the hood we got for our new place. Came to approximately $1000 if memory serves (would have to find my order sheet):
http://www.koberangehoods.com/product/RA-094.html
Old 2013-03-19, 12:39 PM
Regular User

We have 10ft ceilings too, and looking for hood for 36" Wolf gas range.

Our options are

1) Sirius SU5436x - $1300
2) Kobe RA0236SQB-1 - $1367
2) Lumifaro Rainbow Pro 36" - $699
Old 2013-03-19, 01:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisle View Post
We have 10ft ceilings too, and looking for hood for 36" Wolf gas range.

Our options are

1) Sirius SU5436x - $1300
2) Kobe RA0236SQB-1 - $1367
2) Lumifaro Rainbow Pro 36" - $699
I've been told it's sometimes a good idea to go to the next size up with gas instead of just throwing more CFMs at the fan too. So going with a 42" hood lets you get away with a little lower rating and/or mounting it a little higher.
Old 2013-03-19, 11:43 PM
Regular User

thanks for your input.

Would the company you buy it from then install it for you? So what happens, does the builder leave a hole in the wall?
Old 2013-03-20, 12:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by McManGQ View Post
thanks for your input.

Would the company you buy it from then install it for you? So what happens, does the builder leave a hole in the wall?
i installed ours by myself. builder put the vent (tube & cap) in and left the wire as per instructions, but vent wasn't centered and needed to be moved (hint - pick one with a wider chimney so the vent hole doesn't need to be within 1/4" of centered). it probably took an hour to install after the vent was moved. if you were paying for an install, i'd expect to pay $150-$200 depending on the size/weight. ours was a 36" zephyr savona (with the aforementioned narrow chimney).
Old 2013-03-20, 07:11 PM
Regular User

is it possible to get the backsplash done after the wall mounted chimney is installed? or does the backsplash have to be installed before?

cause if this is the case, i may need the builder to do the backsplash if i don't want too much delay
Old 2013-03-21, 07:22 AM
Regular User

First of all you shouldn't get backsplash from the builder, 95% of people don't, after closing you can get it done much cheaper + more designs & stones too choose from.

And some people do tiling after installing the hood, but I think doing it before is much wiser, because if you were to change your range hood in a couple of years then your screwed.
Old 2013-03-21, 10:49 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvi View Post
First of all you shouldn't get backsplash from the builder, 95% of people don't, after closing you can get it done much cheaper + more designs & stones too choose from.
Hmmm - I don't know about the "95% of people don't" but I hear what your saying re cost and selection. That being said, our builder does NOT provide a credit if you don't get the backsplash so basically you're losing money if you don't do it through them since it's included in the price of the house and then you have to pay again for the product and installation so to us, it made more sense to upgrade through the builder for the little bit of extra $.

I agree that doing the backsplash before putting in the hood fan is a better idea - the builder has to have a hood fan hooked up but you can ask them to not attach it to your cabinets (so you're not left with holes when you remove it and replace it with a chiment style hood fan).
Moved in: August 21st, 2013