Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2014-09-26, 12:23 AM
Regular User

Default 4"/5"/6" for LED Recessed Lighting - LuxLite/Canarm/Halo?

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on which type of recessed lighting are good.

Currently, I am looking @ 4" LuxLite 4 for $96.99+ tax.

Have you had any personal experiences with LuxLite, CanArm or Halo?

Also, who was your Electrician that did a good job in installing these in a smooth finished ceiling? I am looking for someone that does a good job with patching and less holes in the walls.

Please provide your feedback on the products and Electrician.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2014-09-27, 06:26 PM
Regular User

I've had great experience with Ring Electric and I think others have. I think they specialize in retro fit spotlights. Worth giving them a call.
Old 2014-09-27, 07:23 PM
Regular User

I think they charge around $120 or $150/pot. I am looking for 40+.
Old 2014-09-30, 09:39 AM
Regular User

I would go with LuxLite, recommended by my contractor friends. In my experience the PAR20's are the best for pot lights, stay away from GU10!
Old 2014-09-30, 10:14 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebdo27 View Post
I would go with LuxLite, recommended by my contractor friends. In my experience the PAR20's are the best for pot lights, stay away from GU10!
Do you have any contacts for an affordable electrician that does a good job? Please PM me when you get a chance. Also, the LuxLite's were GU10. I didn't get a chance to buy them :-(.

Last edited by L+F; 2014-09-30 at 10:30 AM.
Old 2014-09-30, 09:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by L+F View Post
I think they charge around $120 or $150/pot. I am looking for 40+.
You mean you want to pay $40 per light? I'd be interested to hear how you get on. With my experience of drywall and electrical there's must be a fair amount of time involved in retrofitting given the need to fish wires, fit switches, cut/repair drywall etc. Maybe there are tricks I don't know but it's hard to see how someone could make money at $40 each except on the very simplest of jobs. If this is upstairs and they have loft access then maybe - is that where you want these?
Old 2014-09-30, 09:36 PM
Regular User

I think the OP means that they are getting 40 or more lights installed.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2014-09-30, 09:55 PM
Regular User

Yes, I am looking at atleast 40 or more pot lights.
Old 2014-10-02, 09:40 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyrich View Post
You mean you want to pay $40 per light? I'd be interested to hear how you get on. With my experience of drywall and electrical there's must be a fair amount of time involved in retrofitting given the need to fish wires, fit switches, cut/repair drywall etc. Maybe there are tricks I don't know but it's hard to see how someone could make money at $40 each except on the very simplest of jobs. If this is upstairs and they have loft access then maybe - is that where you want these?
Moderately new built houses are easy to install pots. The electrcian just fishes the wires throught the gap made by the ceiling strapping (between the drywall and the floor beams). We had about 46 pots installed in our house after we took possession, no re-drywalling or painting required after installation.
Old 2014-10-02, 08:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebdo27 View Post
Moderately new built houses are easy to install pots. The electrcian just fishes the wires throught the gap made by the ceiling strapping (between the drywall and the floor beams). We had about 46 pots installed in our house after we took possession, no re-drywalling or painting required after installation.
I get the strapping and fishing bit but how do you get through the top plate to get down the wall and add a switch if you're on a lower floor? I'm guessing in most cases you wouldn't want to just lump a load of potlights onto the same circuit as an existing light?