Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Technology and Electronics

Home Technology and Electronics To discuss the technology that is going into your home from planning, wiring, hardware and usage.

Old 2020-07-20, 10:52 PM
Regular User

Default In-wall vs On-wal speakers

What are your opinions for home theatre speakers, front and surround, as it pertains to sound quality of in-wall vs on-wall mounted or book shelf speakers?

Going to start framing my basement next month and wondering what to plan for. Are in-wall speakers happy in a 2x4 wall or should I frame that area in 2x6?
Old 2020-07-21, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Stand-alone
On-wall
In-wall
In-ceiling

That's the order of preference for speaker types in a surround sound situation.

I don't want that list to deceive and suggest that in-ceiling speakers are bad. They are not. They are actually quite good if you get theatre-type speakers that are angled towards the listener for the fronts.

We've done all those situations several times over. You can get crappy floor standing speakers that sound worse than a good pair of in-wall speakers.

All in-wall speakers are designed for a 2x4 cavity. Depth is usually 3.75" from the drywall face.

Preferences these days for most are in-wall front speakers with in-ceiling surrounds.. because of open-concept designs.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2020-08-04, 06:59 PM
Regular User

Thanks Greg.

After thinking things through I'm most likely going to do in wall for the front (interior wall) and on-wall for the rear, only because it's an exterior wall and will be spray foamed, plus two ceiling speakers.

Now just need to decide what brands to look at. So far I've looked online at Monitor Audio and Paradigm.