Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane

Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane For residents and soon-to-be residents of Stouffvilles Main Street and River Ridge, Great Gulf Homes, Fieldgate, Greenpark and more!

Old 2008-02-07, 11:02 AM
Regular User

Question When is the best time to sell your current home?

I'm stressed out of my mind!

When is the best time to sell my current home?
Yesterday we had an appointment with our salesman and he suggested we should sell next weak, The later we wait the more houses will be on the market and that means more selection for the buyers and more time on the market for the seller...The thing is I don't want to sell to early because I don't want to live with the in laws for long...I like to be on my own and I like my privacy I'm most worried is if my home is sold and the buyer tells me they want 60 days closing then I have to stay with the in laws for 4 months, and that's not for me... The salesman told us our house will sell within 2 to 6 weeks, Which that's pretty quick....Our closing date for Starlane is August 2008..

Any advice would help...

Thanks in advance
Old 2008-02-07, 11:12 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2BabyBoys View Post
I'm stressed out of my mind!

When is the best time to sell my current home?
Yesterday we had an appointment with our salesman and he suggested we should sell next weak, The later we wait the more houses will be on the market and that means more selection for the buyers and more time on the market for the seller...The thing is I don't want to sell to early because I don't want to live with the in laws for long...I like to be on my own and I like my privacy I'm most worried is if my home is sold and the buyer tells me they want 60 days closing then I have to stay with the in laws for 4 months, and that's not for me... The salesman told us our house will sell within 2 to 6 weeks, Which that's pretty quick....Our closing date for Starlane is August 2008..

Any advice would help...

Thanks in advance
i say put ur house on market as its the RIGHT TIME and thing to do...besides keeping it mind that if takes 4-6 weeks to sell...than u can ask them to have possession of house (closing time) AFTER 90 or 120 days or wht ever is decided with mutual undersatnding...let them know that ur closing is in august coz ppl can be consdierate besides whoever wants ur house must be having good reason for buying it...if someone likes it enought o buy it than i say they can wait for it as u have ogical reason...if not than u sure can have atleast 90 days period to give possessioni.e its wht u put on ur purchase and sale agreement. and living with in-laws for a month or little more is the scarfise of ur privacy whihc u have to give for getting things done in timely order and fashion which is THE Essential Thing right now to do......

TC
Old 2008-02-07, 12:09 PM
Regular User

Smile sell now

Mom2babyboys - i understand that you don't want to sell too early and then have to live with the inlaws - i was in that position.
we sold our house in October and closed in December and we are now living with my parents with my two boys until our home is ready in July. That will be 7 months.
BUT - it's piece of mind to know that part of that process is over and done with. If you are stressed now, you will be panicked if the market takes a turn and your house is on the market longer.
I don't know your relationship with your inlaws but what worked for my husband and I is planning things to do to get us out of the house... karate lessons, family swim time at the rec centre, etc. This is working quite well.(just a suggestion). My son has 10 karate lessons every saturday, so by the time that's over that will be 2 months out! Your weeks will go by so fast...
So with that said - SELL. we sold our house in a week, BUT another house that is just like ours has been on the market for the last 4 months!
You have the time to hold out for the price that you want - otherwise you might end up "giving" away your house, just to close the deal fast if you wait too long.
Old 2008-02-07, 12:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulikh View Post
i say put ur house on market as its the RIGHT TIME and thing to do...besides keeping it mind that if takes 4-6 weeks to sell...than u can ask them to have possession of house (closing time) AFTER 90 or 120 days or wht ever is decided with mutual undersatnding...let them know that ur closing is in august coz ppl can be consdierate besides whoever wants ur house must be having good reason for buying it...if someone likes it enought o buy it than i say they can wait for it as u have ogical reason...if not than u sure can have atleast 90 days period to give possessioni.e its wht u put on ur purchase and sale agreement. and living with in-laws for a month or little more is the scarfise of ur privacy whihc u have to give for getting things done in timely order and fashion which is THE Essential Thing right now to do......

TC
Thanks for the advice, We are looking at what our options are...thanks again
Old 2008-02-07, 12:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjcb View Post
Mom2babyboys - i understand that you don't want to sell too early and then have to live with the inlaws - i was in that position.
we sold our house in October and closed in December and we are now living with my parents with my two boys until our home is ready in July. That will be 7 months.
BUT - it's piece of mind to know that part of that process is over and done with. If you are stressed now, you will be panicked if the market takes a turn and your house is on the market longer.
I don't know your relationship with your inlaws but what worked for my husband and I is planning things to do to get us out of the house... karate lessons, family swim time at the rec centre, etc. This is working quite well.(just a suggestion). My son has 10 karate lessons every saturday, so by the time that's over that will be 2 months out! Your weeks will go by so fast...
So with that said - SELL. we sold our house in a week, BUT another house that is just like ours has been on the market for the last 4 months!
You have the time to hold out for the price that you want - otherwise you might end up "giving" away your house, just to close the deal fast if you wait too long.
I understand what you mean, It's just very difficult to go live with my in laws, I love them and have a very good close relationship...But I can't live in their household for too long...I have 2 kids, basically still babies in diapers and I like my privacy. When the grandparents are around, My husband and I don't exist...And we don't like that either.
What are the odds of someone take possession of the house in 30 days or 60 days? That's my main concern.
I really do understand what you mean, an old neighbor of mine sold their house so fast and lost big time....thanks for the advice.
Old 2008-02-07, 01:04 PM
Regular User

DO NOT sell until your foundation is poured!
Old 2008-02-07, 03:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
DO NOT sell until your foundation is poured!
Our foundation is poured...
Old 2008-02-11, 09:37 PM
Regular User

Default Same Situation

Hi Mom,

We are in the same situation however we aren't too bad in looking forward to living with the in-laws. We plan to put our current house on the market beginning of March. The sooner you sell it, the more piece of mind and besides, you can put that money into some short term investments. Your agent is correct, the longer you wait into Spring, the more you risk of competing with the other houses in your area.

Old 2008-02-12, 08:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela.ken View Post
Hi Mom,

We are in the same situation however we aren't too bad in looking forward to living with the in-laws. We plan to put our current house on the market beginning of March. The sooner you sell it, the more piece of mind and besides, you can put that money into some short term investments. Your agent is correct, the longer you wait into Spring, the more you risk of competing with the other houses in your area.
I know....What can we do....We have to focus on being positive regarding the possession date...I'm praying for a buyer with a possession date close to our closing date with the builder...It's so stressful.
I wish you luck and congrats on your home.
Old 2008-04-09, 12:30 AM
MovingOnUp

I got lucky and did not have to live with the in laws but with my parents... We sold right away because our agent said that they market will get harder to sell once you get into spring and summer.... I two wanted a closing date closer to our new closing date ( Aug 25) but the couple that bought our home wanted a 30 day closing (I was still pregnant at the time) anyways we sold had the baby and now living with my parents ...Great help but a later closing date would have been better.......