Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-02-13, 02:42 PM
Regular User

Default Cable Outlets

Is it worth buying the extra cable outlets through Mattamy? Or should I get it done when I get my cable installed? On Rogers' website, it says that Rogers is responsible for installing all outlets you require. You may have up to 4 cable outlets installed, included in your initial installation charge.

Old 2008-02-13, 03:18 PM
Regular User

I just looked at the rogers site and found some extra charges involved. This includes some monthly charges as well

http://your.rogers.com/store/cable/c...asp?shopperID=
Old 2008-02-13, 04:48 PM
Regular User

Part of it will depend on exactly where you want those outlets to be located, and where your cables are all run to (either in the basement or the garage). If they're on the first floor, any idiot (such as myself ) should be able to drill a hole up from the basement (assuming that's where the cable splitter is located). If you want outlets on the second floor, or on exterior walls, that could be more work.

When I had satellite service installed when I was living with my parents, the guy ran the cables along the vinyl siding on the outside of the house before drilling a hole to bring them into the garage. Kinda sloppy, but not much alternative.

So I'd say, pay for Mattamy to do it properly for outlets on exterior walls and on the second floor. For the first floor and any outlets in the basement, you can DIY.
Old 2008-02-13, 04:52 PM
Regular User

Rogers will charge you more than that if you want your wires hidden behind the walls. It is always better to get it done while the home is being built.
Old 2008-02-13, 05:51 PM
Regular User

Yea I don't think I"d want Rogers or Bell installing my extra outlets cause I have a feeling it would be just stapled on the outside near the baseboards (rather than in the wall).

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!

Old 2008-02-13, 06:24 PM
Regular User

Years ago when I lived in Kingston I had Cogico Cable install a drop in my bedroom. They went though an exterior wall in another room and ran it along the baseboards. When I went up after he was done, the dummy ran the wire right across the middle of the floor and wanted me to sign off on the job, looked at me like I was crazy for questioning why he ran the cable across the middle of the room! I wanted to wrap the cable around his neck! Made him re do it but there was still cable along the baseboards.
Old 2008-02-13, 06:55 PM
Regular User

If you do it through Rogers, they won't hide any of your cables through walls. They pretty much will drill through wall to get to another room if you get someone that hates doing their job. Most will put the cable along the baseboards. Do it with the builder. Its way better even though its a bit much for something that is so cheap to them and easy to do before drywall is up.
Old 2008-02-13, 07:02 PM
Regular User

Wink

rogers will not fish the cable for you, you have to have a contractor fish the cable/ its cheaper to have it done now then to have someone fish it later. the 3 extra outlets are only with one specific package and that is running the service to those outlets, not for installing/ if you have rogers install it WILL be stapled to your baseboards.
Lets just say im going to pay to have mine fished... we wont say where i work
Lot 139A Phase 1
Closing date March 12, 2020

https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ez...4c9a/event.png
Old 2008-02-13, 07:33 PM
Regular User

good to know...I'm glad I asked. I will definitely get the extra outlets through Mattamy!

Old 2008-02-13, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Exactly. This is why I get so many jobs to run new cable/telephone jacks for homes.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/