Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Oakville

Old 2008-02-22, 02:16 PM

Smile what's Oakville like??

Hello,
My family and I are looking to relocate to Ontario from MOntreal. WE are interested in Milton/Oakville/Burlington area. Although we have never been, Milton looks nice( a little out of the way yet still close to the city, and near the escarpment). Schools(elementary and secondary) are number one on our list of "musts" as well as a young, friendly neighborhood. Any advice would be great
Old 2008-02-22, 03:32 PM
Regular User

Out of all the Places you have mentioned my personal preference by far is Oakville. Having said that the Price difference is much bigger too. Oakville is quite South near the Lake and transportation like Go Train and all the Amenties liek Shopping malls, Costcos, Hospitals and schools just minutes drive.
Old 2014-02-15, 10:18 PM
Regular User

Oakville or Burlington....Burlington just further west of Toronto but still on Go Train line....not Milton....growing too fast and too crowded now (my 2 cents)
Old 2014-02-15, 11:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by On the Lane View Post
Oakville or Burlington....Burlington just further west of Toronto but still on Go Train line....not Milton....growing too fast and too crowded now (my 2 cents)
I agree with On the lane... My first preference would be oakville (if your budget allows ) then burlington

progress thread
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=21560
Old 2014-02-16, 11:55 AM
Administrator

I've lived in all of them. Burlington wins. Less expensive than Oakville. Much nicer and easier to get through downtown. Lots of shopping and facilities. Has the QEW/403/407.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2014-02-16, 01:06 PM
Regular User

I agree! I love Burlington. Even though I am moving to Oakville next year, I will miss burlington a lot
Old 2014-02-17, 11:46 AM
Regular User

Oakville is beautiful but very expensive, milton is growing faster than the infrastructure can handle and is over crowded. As mentioned burlington neighbours oakville and the extra commute is minutes on the train.

The latest and greatest neighbourhoods in Burlington, are Headon, Millcroft, orchard and the newest being Alton Village. The most recent stats for Alton is that >70% are families with young children, my son's school as 10 jk/sk classes, the new high school is virtually empty.
Old 2014-02-23, 04:02 PM
Regular User

I haven't lived in Oakville yet, but we bought a house there, so I've done some research, and it seems to be the place to be
Before we bought our house there, I don't think I'd ever even been in the town... I knew approximately where it was, but never had a reason to go there.
We're in downtown Toronto right now, but since having a family, we were looking to buy a house where our kids could walk to school and play outside. The first time we went there, we looked around, visited some stores, a builder's sales office, went to lunch and bought a house. The city is really nice, clean, the people are polite, drivers seem sane and allegedly the schools are really good. They have a "Vision 2057" plan which plans out the city's future so you know generally how your area will change in the next few decades...
One thing I've noticed is people who don't live there seem to have this seething hatred (jealousy?) for the town that I never knew about before. Since we work in Toronto, any towns further away weren't an option because daycares typically only take children from 7am-6pm and Oakville is about as far away we can get within that window. I was annoyed with the prices and the amount of land you get, but at least the town is really nice and somewhere you can enjoy being. Whereas Toronto is just expensive for no reason. We just compared what we have here to what we would get there for the same money and it was a no-brainer for us. For me, time with my family also has a value, so an extra 25 minutes each way on a GO train was factored into the cost of the house.
Everybody values the price of a home differently; for some, size is the most important, for others it's commute time, some are concerned about property tax (it's not uncommon to have property taxes of about $1,000/month for regular homes around here)... so if you have the luxury of not working downtown and being able to choose between one house that's half the price of another in an equally nice town, you're very lucky