Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2008-04-30, 08:50 PM
Regular User

Default real estate agent ratings?

Does anyone know where I can find ratings or reviews on real estate agents?

Also, can anyone suggest what I can do if I am not happy with my real estate agent's service when I have signed on for 90 days?
Old 2008-05-01, 12:05 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digimom View Post
Does anyone know where I can find ratings or reviews on real estate agents?
I think you're outta luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digimom View Post
Also, can anyone suggest what I can do if I am not happy with my real estate agent's service when I have signed on for 90 days?
I think you're outta luck here too, unless you tell your agent that you're not happy and they (and their brokerage) agree to release you. You might have more luck switching to another agent in the same brokerage (agents often buy out another agent's "investment" in your listing). In this market, you should be able to get an agent to agree to a 60 day listing (with limited holdover too) if they're confident they can sell your house. It's kinda ironic that they claim to be working for you but then screw you with their listing contract.
Old 2008-05-01, 08:09 AM
Regular User

I may be naive here, but can't you just cancel the contract and opt out?
Old 2008-05-01, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Call up their office and ask to talk to their broker. Explain the situation you are unhappy with and see what the results are.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2008-05-01, 08:50 AM
Regular User

Default Agents

All good agents will come to you with their financial reports for previous years and an armful of references. Don't be shy! Call the references and hear what they say. You can expect they will all be good otherwise the agent wouldn't give them to you but you can still question them.

Getting out of an existing agreement is tough. I suggest finding a good agent and see what they say about cancelling the agreement. If anyone knows they will. If it can be done I am sure they will help you to get the business.

When I sold in Mississauga my research pointed me to Sam Mcdadi. His claim is #1 in GTA, #2 in Canada, #8 worldwide. He sold my house in an hour at a record price for the area
Old 2008-05-01, 10:42 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
When I sold in Mississauga my research pointed me to Sam Mcdadi. His claim is #1 in GTA, #2 in Canada, #8 worldwide. He sold my house in an hour at a record price for the area
Wow, really? May I ask what he charged for his "quick" service I always assumed he was more "expensive" ?
Old 2008-05-01, 10:52 AM
Regular User

Default charges

Actually he was the cheapest! We had a sliding scal of copmmission that went from 2.5% if he sold it himself, 3% if his team sold it (has a team of about 25) or 3.% if an outside agent sold it.

We had a couple of friends of friends look at the house before we listed. I had an agreement that if one of them came back it would be outside our agreemnt and commission free. But I would give him some money to cover expenses incurred.

I know what you are saying though! Being #1 we expected a mean lean fighting machine but he was actually quite pleasent to deal with.
Old 2008-05-01, 01:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Actually he was the cheapest! We had a sliding scal of copmmission that went from 2.5% if he sold it himself, 3% if his team sold it (has a team of about 25) or 3.% if an outside agent sold it.

We had a couple of friends of friends look at the house before we listed. I had an agreement that if one of them came back it would be outside our agreemnt and commission free. But I would give him some money to cover expenses incurred.

I know what you are saying though! Being #1 we expected a mean lean fighting machine but he was actually quite pleasent to deal with.
So 3% was the max total you would have paid then.... I know that many agents still don't like go below 3 1/2% total commission
Old 2008-05-01, 02:48 PM
Regular User

Default oops

Sorry! Should say 3.5% if sold by an outside agent.
Your right though, I don't think you can find anyone much lower than 3.5% unless they do the listing and sell it.

Before I chose McDadi I had an army of agents give me their pitch. For most 3.5% was the number except for Royal Lepage agents who were stuck at 4%. One was insulted when I pointed out everyone else was talking 3.5%, she suggeted she was worth 5%. I made sure the door didn't hit her on the way out.

By the way if you are looking for a reasonable lawyer you may want to try Derek Ball in Mississauga. He did my sale in Mississauga for $600 and my purchase in the Orchard for the same. My son and I flipped a Townhouse on Fairview (bought in Jan sold in Apr), he did that one for $500. Of course incurred expenses are extra.
Old 2008-05-01, 03:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Before I chose McDadi I had an army of agents give me their pitch. For most 3.5% was the number except for Royal Lepage agents who were stuck at 4%. One was insulted when I pointed out everyone else was talking 3.5%, she suggeted she was worth 5%. I made sure the door didn't hit her on the way out.
Good one

I remember when we were interviewing agents, some Re/Max agents actually wanted 4.5% - 5% I mean come on, times have surely changed

But if you look hard enough, you can get a good real estate agent for 3% total commission, if anyone is looking for one, let me know