Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2008-05-30, 11:57 AM
Regular User

Default Looking for a digital thermostat

I will be moving into a new house soon, and going to replace the builder's cheap (non digital) thermostat. Can someone recommend a good brand/model for me? I notice there are some around $30, and some over $100. Does it make a difference?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 2008-05-30, 12:44 PM
Regular User

In my opinion you want something which is easy to program. If it is not easy to program you wouldn't use/change it as needed.

I own Honeywell (don't know the model) touch screen version. Very easy to program. It cost just under $90 with shipping off e-bay. In stores, they run $115-130 + taxes.
Old 2008-05-30, 01:46 PM
Regular User

I am considering joining the PeakSaver program, which will give you one for free. I don't mind the conditions they place on the program. They also give you $25 for signing up.
Old 2008-05-31, 10:32 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejack View Post
In my opinion you want something which is easy to program. If it is not easy to program you wouldn't use/change it as needed.

I own Honeywell (don't know the model) touch screen version. Very easy to program. It cost just under $90 with shipping off e-bay. In stores, they run $115-130 + taxes.
I have this model also. Great thermostat, only feature I miss is that it doesn't measure relative humidity. Also had to run a new wire from the furnace for power (so the backlite works 24/7) Also, beware buying on Ebay, the normally high-priced Honeywells are cheaper because they were made before the recent changes to daylight savings time.
Old 2008-06-03, 06:10 PM
Regular User

this one is great:

http://www.hvacpartsonline.ca/catalo...5eea021be0bccf

the honeywell visionpro 8000. you can pull it off the wall to program while you're watching tv and then pop it back on.
Old 2008-06-04, 09:14 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdx View Post
I will be moving into a new house soon, and going to replace the builder's cheap (non digital) thermostat. Can someone recommend a good brand/model for me? I notice there are some around $30, and some over $100. Does it make a difference?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I don't think it make different, electronic stuff now is so good, I used NOMA from CT for many years, it works so good
Old 2008-06-04, 10:34 AM
Regular User

Bougth the RiteTemp thermostat from HomeDepot...its worked very well and I believe was relatively inexpensive ($50), plus it has the 7 day program and the touch screen...can't imagine how one could work better than another as the mechanism is extremely simplisitic, but then again, I am pretty new to this.
Old 2008-06-04, 03:00 PM
thunderbolt

I went with the Honeywell 8000 was a $30 mailin rebate at the time, so cost me $70. It's proved very efficient and has reduced my heating costs .... I set it 1-2 degrees below the recommended (esp. at night). Different schedules thru the day for wake/leave/stay/night and days. A great model, very happy with it.
Old 2008-06-04, 06:52 PM
Regular User

I would like to find a thermostat that displays and controls both temp and humidity. I havent seen any that control humidity as well. I would like to control temp and humidity from the same interface. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 2008-06-04, 09:07 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcurl View Post
I would like to find a thermostat that displays and controls both temp and humidity. I havent seen any that control humidity as well. I would like to control temp and humidity from the same interface. Any ideas?

Thanks
The one I am using now has humidity and temp. It's NOMA from CT