Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2008-07-29, 10:25 AM
Regular User

Default Heated Driveway

Has anyone installed a heated driveway for their home? Any idea what they cost to install and mantain? The only company I have found in Ottawa is Klimar and I am waiting for a quote from them. If you know of any other companies or have any thoughts or experiences to share I would love to hear about them.

Thanks!
Old 2008-07-29, 10:54 AM
Regular User

I'm sending you a PM to another thread at another forum that talks about this. The short answer is don't do it. Just from an environmental perspective, it would be a huge waste of energy.

There is more than heating your driveway to melt the snow... your would also need a system to catch that melting snow and "dispose" of it. You can't let the water from the melting snow roll onto the road where it will freeze again, causing an nice big ice patch at the end of your driveway on the road.
Old 2008-07-29, 11:16 AM
Regular User

Thanks Joseph. It's too bad it is so costly, and I really appreciate you providing the info. It seems to be much cheaper and enviromentally friendly to get a snow blower. Considering we just built an energy star home, I really would be concerned about wasting that much energy and now that you've highlighted how much it's really wasting, I agree it is a big waste of money and energy and I won't be getting one. Thanks for the education!
Old 2008-07-29, 11:13 PM
Regular User

Just received my quote from Klimar and they're asking $15,000 - $18,000 for a 20 X 30 drive way and they are estimating annual usage of about $1,500 in utility costs! What a waste of money that would be!
Old 2008-07-30, 09:23 AM
Regular User

Yeah, I think with the amount of snow we get in Ottawa this would be totally impractical. In less snowy climates (Vancouver maybe?) I could see it working, but I think snow is a fact of life here.
Old 2008-07-30, 11:48 AM
Regular User

It is done here in Ottawa, but more for commercial applications. Think of an apartment building that has underground parking. The ramp going down into the underground parking is usually heated with a drain at the bottom to capture the water (melted snow).
Old 2010-05-13, 08:50 AM

Default Great experience with heated driveway installation

For what it's worth the people at Canadian In-Floor Radiant Solutions did a great job on my heated driveway. I highly recommend them. They are based in Burlington but seem to serve a fairly large chunk of Ontario. Here's their site: http://www.infloorheat.ca

Cheers,
Henry Jr
Old 2010-05-13, 08:52 AM
Regular User

Thanks for letting us know. Can I ask what they charged and what your expected monthly cost will be for running it?
Old 2010-05-13, 09:02 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alymg View Post
Just received my quote from Klimar and they're asking $15,000 - $18,000 for a 20 X 30 drive way and they are estimating annual usage of about $1,500 in utility costs! What a waste of money that would be!
That pays for probably 30years of snow removal service at 500$ a season..
Old 2010-05-13, 09:06 AM
Regular User

Yup that's why we didn't go for it.