Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill

Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill For residents and soon-to-be residents of Mattamys On Main and Wheler's Mill.

Old 2005-09-17, 11:54 AM
Regular User

Default Heated garage?

Hey,

Are any of you going to get an insulated garage door?

I like to do my own maintenance on the cars and wintertime oil change kinda sucks.

Anyone know of any issue that I might have with an insulated garage?
Old 2005-09-17, 01:59 PM
Regular User

The only thing I have heard about insultated garages are that the snow on your car tends to melt and causes the water to run into cracks etc on the car, allowing for more rusting..

Not sure how much a big deal that is...

KF
#7 Walter Sangster Road, L4A 0J8
Eldon 'D' - 4 Bedroom
MOVED IN!
http://www.thefrasers.ca/MOM
Old 2005-09-17, 10:57 PM
Regular User

We are going for the insulated metal garage doors. The standard wooden doors that Mattamy uses seem REALLY thin - we checked them out on the model homes. Also, we thought that the metal ones would stand up to the elements a little better than the wood ones - withstand warping and keep the paint better.

Sean & Laurie
Bassett Elev \'B\'
Wheler's Mill
MOVED IN!
Old 2005-09-18, 03:13 PM
Regular User

The only think I am concerned about is the pavement "lifting" because like Kent said, the cars would have to be washed or rinsed inside the garage because of the meling snow/salt.

But I'm concerned the water draining out of the garage will crack or lift the pavement.
Old 2005-09-18, 05:18 PM
Regular User

the warmer temps in an insulated garage could cause some trouble with all the salt they use around here... you could take your car to somewhere like Krown and have it oil sprayed in Nov and you are pretty much protected all winter.

rinsing that salt off in your garage could damage the floor (concrete doesn't like salt!)... you could always seal the floor with something to protect it.

we will be getting the insulated door but i won't be doing anything special with the vehicles... it hasn't been a problem in the past.

Sean & Laurie
Bassett Elev \'B\'
Wheler's Mill
MOVED IN!
Old 2005-09-18, 09:19 PM
Regular User

I would spray the salt out of the garage.

I would seal the concrete but like the basment I think you have to wait a year for it to fully dry.

Ah, rust is not big deal, I think I'm going to lease cars from now on. Can't be bothered babying cars.
Old 2005-09-19, 08:05 AM
Regular User

Default heater

I have insulated the wooden doors in the house we are living in now. You can purchase curtain type insulation @ Home Depot to do this with.
Also have a heated garage, I installed a purpose build garage heater from Modine, 30000 BTU, mounted to the ceiling, runs off Natural Gas pipped out from the house, and power vented out the roof of the garage. It's extremelly convinient when you need to do any work in the Garage in winter. The first year I had it, I left it on all winter, keeping the garage @ 10 C as I was storing one of my cars in there. However the other side was being used for a commuter in winter....and it's true when you bring it in from the cold it's a pain, makes a mess with all the slush. So definately use a good epoxy paint for you garage floor.
since, I just turn it on when I need to work in there. usually takes about 20-25 mins to bring it up to a confortable (15-20 C) temp in the dead of winter.....
Closing March 8th, 07.
Old 2005-09-19, 09:52 AM
Regular User

The house we are in now came with the upgraded garage doors that Mattamy offers as an upgrade.

We always park in the garage all year round, and none of the concerns mentioned in this thread have ever been an issue.

That is my two cents, for what it is worth.
Old 2005-09-19, 06:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdyruffboy

Ah, rust is not big deal, I think I'm going to lease cars from now on. Can't be bothered babying cars.
just get a jeep, they come rusted brand new from the dealer

Sean & Laurie
Bassett Elev \'B\'
Wheler's Mill
MOVED IN!
Old 2005-09-19, 07:03 PM
Regular User

How much will it cost for the upgraded door from mattamy ?
I think I will get a insulated garage after I close, That way I can shop around for a good price. these doors are very easy for the pros to replace.
Moved In