Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-04-14, 01:03 PM
Regular User

Default How much time do you need to sell your home?

Just curious... we have to sell our current home (obviously) before moving into our new one... so how much time is usually neccesary, given Ottawa's market conditions? I intend to price it competitively, if not a little lower than the average just to get a bit of a bidding war going. Our closing date is mid-May, 2010.

Suggestions?
Old 2009-04-14, 01:15 PM
Regular User

4 to 5 months before your possession date should be ample time. If your possession date is May 2010, I would list mid Jan. to early Feb.

Just make sure you price your house aggressively, if your priced too high in this "buyers market" your house will not move.
Old 2009-04-14, 01:31 PM
Regular User

Every house is different. If it is a relatively "normal" house, in a normal neighborhood, and it's reasonably priced, then it should go in about 30 days. Allow 3-4 months on top for "closing".

Best you can do to make it move fast is to make it sparkle ! (de-clutter, repaint EVERYTHING (walls, baseboards, etc), new carpets where needed, seal driveway, wash windows in/out, etc... and when you think you're done.... de-clutter again... twice!)

It took us 2 full months of working every evening and weekend to prep our house for sale. We put a lot of work into it. It sold, just last week, for $10k ABOVE the avg. agent recommended list price (we got 5 agent appraisals), after 5 days on the market. We had 3 showings in the first 3 days, and all 3 buyers made offers. We were relieved, because it's hard to live that way, without all your stuff, especially with 3 kids.

Our total cost for the fix-ups was about $1000, including the offsite storage for all our "stuff".
Old 2009-04-14, 02:26 PM
Regular User

Hi ,

We listed our townhouse 2 months ago, we had lots of showings and unfortunatelly no offers untill now...We also worked hard to prepare the house and it looks really nice(IMO). We also have 3 kids and it is so difficult to live that way. It is so frustrating.

I think it also depends on the neighbourhood and on how good your agent is.

Our closing date is in 2 months but we are just so tired of all this.
Old 2009-04-14, 02:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Just make sure you price your house aggressively
Define that?
Old 2009-04-14, 04:19 PM
Regular User

Default re

I agree an agressive price to stand out and a beautifull product will sell fast!

I have sold 3 houses in 8 years and works everytime

Houses on our street would sell in couple of days to 30 days last year at this time. This year its more like 3 months the average from what my real estate friend told me, for our community.

good luck
Old 2009-04-14, 09:38 PM
Regular User

Our close date is September 10th and we just listed our house this week. It also took about 2 months of nightly work to get it ready...and again, not ideal with two children. We've had great response so far....hopefully a sale will not be too far away! We have indicated a September closing is preferred but that we are flexible. So far it hasn't been an issue.
Old 2009-04-14, 09:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica View Post
Our close date is September 10th and we just listed our house this week. It also took about 2 months of nightly work to get it ready...and again, not ideal with two children. We've had great response so far....hopefully a sale will not be too far away! We have indicated a September closing is preferred but that we are flexible. So far it hasn't been an issue.
Erica, I noticed you're in Barrhaven. What kind of home do you have? Town/Single?