Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2009-11-21, 05:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlington1971 View Post
We have two jack posts, but they are right by the stairs, the spans are supported by metal I beams.
Just checked ours for comparison. We only have one metal beam. We don't have any running perpendicular, like your are. Hmm... We're in a Volga... 2700+ sq feet. Hope our span of almost 17' is ok!
Old 2009-11-22, 11:20 AM
Regular User

Default Update, framing has started.

I should be finished framing next weekend. Then comes the Electrical, HVAC & Plumbing. Hopefully I can get everything done and inspected before Christmas.

Moving the rest of the lumber down to the basement was killer, that's one area where steel studs are better, they are much lighter.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7858.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	5147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7859.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	482.0 KB
ID:	5148   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7860.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	451.7 KB
ID:	5149  
Old 2009-11-22, 08:16 PM
Regular User

I thought the vapour barrier went behind the the walls?? Or at least something to prevent the 2x4's from being exposed to the cold side?
Old 2009-11-22, 09:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhillon View Post
I thought the vapour barrier went behind the the walls?? Or at least something to prevent the 2x4's from being exposed to the cold side?
If your outer foundation is not dampproofed, you need dampproofing inside. The lumber does not touch the foundation in our install. The vapor barrier goes on after the insulation. You can choose to put tar paper on the walls if you like, but I think it is overkill, unless you have moisture problems. I may slip some poly behind the studs if I have to, I left plenty of room.
Old 2009-11-24, 02:48 PM
Regular User

The studs look further apart then 16" on centre... Is it just the photo or are there wider tolerances for exterior walls? Don't the exterior walls also require firebreak boards? Or is it different in the basement?
Old 2009-11-24, 02:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolgaOwner View Post
Just checked ours for comparison. We only have one metal beam. We don't have any running perpendicular, like your are. Hmm... We're in a Volga... 2700+ sq feet. Hope our span of almost 17' is ok!
I beleive it's okay because our joist in the volga are only 12" as opposed to 14" or 16" apart and they used either 2x10's inststead of 2x8's or 2x8's instead of 2x6's. I can't remeber which ones, but I know they are 2" wider.

I believe they only used the I beams to support the kitchen area.
Old 2009-11-24, 02:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlington1971 View Post
I should be finished framing next weekend. Then comes the Electrical, HVAC & Plumbing. Hopefully I can get everything done and inspected before Christmas.

Moving the rest of the lumber down to the basement was killer, that's one area where steel studs are better, they are much lighter.

Did you try sliding the lumber through a window?
Old 2009-11-24, 03:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffask View Post
Did you try sliding the lumber through a window?
They are 16" OC.

The window is in the back yard, sliding through would work if I had help, but it was all me.

Fire stops will go in later, it's pretty easy to do with the nail gun after the walls go up.
Old 2009-11-24, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffask View Post
Don't the exterior walls also require firebreak boards? Or is it different in the basement?
Firebreak boards? Do you mean horizontal wood between the studs? Not that I have ever seen in new construction.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2009-11-24, 08:54 PM
Regular User

Ya Firebreak boards, I thought they should be uused on eternal walls?