Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2010-09-16, 02:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkj12345 View Post
I had it installed in my previous house after the fact and in my new house by the builder:

It cost me 15k in my previous house when I had it done after.

4k with the builder while the house was being built.

Hi,

Just wondering, did you have any issues with leakage into the basement, etc. with all the snow/rain we get?
Old 2010-09-16, 02:57 PM
Regular User

I know someone with one of these and in the major rain storm a few years ago with all the flooding that is what caused his basement to flood major. He has to constantly make sure the drain is clean otherwise it fills up with water and leaks inside. I can see the benefit to these though but you have to also think of the cons. Will constantly accumulate leaves and garbage (we have many customers with these and have to always clean them out in the fall pain in the butt) they also tend to accumulate either a lot of snow or very little I guess depending on which way the wind is blowing (we have a few of these we have to shovel in the winter NOT fun). Guess it could be a security issue too as someone wanting to break in would be well hidden from neighbors giving them all the time they need to get in.
Old 2010-09-16, 03:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
if this is what the OP means, then it will cost between 10-15k to be done while the house is being built. after the fact, i don't know. i doubt its six digits. that would mean at least 100k. no way. to do it after the house is built means they have to dig outside the house, cut out a door in the foundation and make some steps, etc. that can't cost 100k.
Homie, no offense, but you're underestimating the scope of the job -- by a lot. You need to take drainage into consideration (are you just thinking of interrupting the weeping tile??), footings, structural considerations of carrying the load across, load points, permits, retaining wall, drainage at the base of the stairs, waterproofing, etc etc etc. It's not simply a matter of digging a hole and installing a door.

Old 2010-09-16, 03:52 PM
Regular User

that's true. didn't think of all that. i never said i was a pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
Homie, no offense, but you're underestimating the scope of the job -- by a lot. You need to take drainage into consideration (are you just thinking of interrupting the weeping tile??), footings, structural considerations of carrying the load across, load points, permits, retaining wall, drainage at the base of the stairs, waterproofing, etc etc etc. It's not simply a matter of digging a hole and installing a door.
Old 2010-09-16, 04:17 PM
Regular User

What is often missed with walkouts by builders, is any reinforcement in the retaining walls. They get away without rebar in foundation walls because the ground floor stabalizes the top of the foundation wall (and its allowed by OBC). I recently had to design a new retaining wall for a builder home that literally cracked into pieces.

Yes, drainage, frost protection (underpinning or rigid insulation), and structural considerations have to be met, but I can't see one costing $100,000 to install.
Old 2010-09-17, 12:48 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBandy View Post
What is often missed with walkouts by builders, is any reinforcement in the retaining walls. They get away without rebar in foundation walls because the ground floor stabalizes the top of the foundation wall (and its allowed by OBC). I recently had to design a new retaining wall for a builder home that literally cracked into pieces.

Yes, drainage, frost protection (underpinning or rigid insulation), and structural considerations have to be met, but I can't see one costing $100,000 to install.
What material was used for a retaining wall? Anything over 4ft should be poured concrete or block/mortar according to OBC -- i thought.

Old 2010-09-17, 09:45 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbits View Post
Hi,

Just wondering, did you have any issues with leakage into the basement, etc. with all the snow/rain we get?
No issues whatsoever. I think it is a great feature to have, but much more so if you have a finished basement. Unfortunately, I never finished the basement in the previous house so was not able to utilize the walkup as much.

Wife never preferred walk out basement so walk up was the best option.
Old 2010-09-17, 12:04 PM
Regular User

I know someone who paid 8k seven years ago to get this done. It's probably a lot more now.
Old 2010-09-17, 03:09 PM
Regular User

The entrance is way below ground level, how can they prevent rain and snow from getting in ?

I assume there will be a drain at the entrance. But what if the drain is clogged by leaves or whatever, or the water flow rate from rain or melting snow is faster and heavier than the drain can go ?

Last edited by rdx; 2010-09-17 at 03:12 PM.
Old 2010-10-06, 02:11 PM
Regular User

adding detail - I just reread this thread and realized that I miscounted my 'digits'. I meant to say that it is well into 5 digits, (not six) after the house has been built. I've heard $20k after the fact and my neighbour i think paid $8-10k when the house was being built.