Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2010-09-20, 10:03 PM
Regular User

Unhappy Water in basament after watering the grass

Hi. I have been living in my new house for over 4 months now. I never noticed any leaks in the basement. However, today they were watering my new grass. They used sprinkler between my house and my neighbor (the space there is pretty tight), so the water was pouring on the side wall for a good half an hour. After that, I noticed that the floor in my basement was very wet. It is right below the basement stairs, and if anything is leaking from the wall, I cannot see it because there is drywall there.
I inspected the outside wall in that place and cannot see anything suspicious. The only culprit seems to be a weep hole. Can this be caused by a weep hole? I.e. can pouring lots of water into weep hole cause this kind of problem?
I'm going to contact builder about this, but was wondering whether anyone seen anything like this before?
Old 2010-09-21, 09:18 AM
Regular User

there is probably a crack on the foundation. its normal.
Old 2010-09-21, 09:28 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
I wouldn't classify water coming into the home from outside as normal. Get your builder to look at it and fix it.
Old 2010-09-21, 09:37 AM
Regular User

there could be a crack or they could have missed one of those holes that they use for tieing the foundation forms
Old 2010-09-21, 10:04 AM
Regular User

i didn't say that water comming into the home is normal. i said having a crack is normal. That is, normal in the sense that it does happen, not that it doesn't need to get fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minto_home View Post
I wouldn't classify water coming into the home from outside as normal. Get your builder to look at it and fix it.
Old 2010-09-21, 11:53 AM
Regular User

The builder came to check it. They claim it is because water was poured into weep holes, and that there is nothing to fix here.
This is pretty strange to me. How did the water find it way to the basement? Isn't that there is supposed to be some kind of insulation there that should keep water outside even if it gets behind the bricks?
Old 2010-09-21, 12:41 PM
Regular User

Water can pour into weep holes in heavy rain as well. I wouldn't expect it to find its way into the basement. Try asking Phil the home inspector on his thread in the Ottawa forum. He should be able to give a "whats expected" answer.
Old 2010-09-21, 03:16 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by homie27 View Post
Please, please, stop.

Old 2010-09-21, 11:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomToronto2 View Post
The builder came to check it. They claim it is because water was poured into weep holes, and that there is nothing to fix here.
This is pretty strange to me. How did the water find it way to the basement? Isn't that there is supposed to be some kind of insulation there that should keep water outside even if it gets behind the bricks?
Yes, you're correct. If water in the weepholes caused a basement leak then they (you) have a problem with the flashing inside the brick wall. If it's a leaking foundation crack you can confirm it by running a hose along side the foundation and not getting the brick wet. It could be more than one leak location. Keep that in mind if it leaks again after a repair.
Old 2010-09-26, 12:43 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometech View Post
Yes, you're correct. If water in the weepholes caused a basement leak then they (you) have a problem with the flashing inside the brick wall. If it's a leaking foundation crack you can confirm it by running a hose along side the foundation and not getting the brick wet. It could be more than one leak location. Keep that in mind if it leaks again after a repair.
+1 on the thru wall flashing (the black paper behind the brick). That stuff is supposed to be installed to direct any moisture that gets behind your bricks (because bricks are poreous) back out through the weep holes that are installed strategically throughout your wall. If the thru wall flashing is done properly then any water that goes in should come right back out. If water is getting into the house through a weep hole, either the flashing was done improperly, there is an excess of mortar built up behind the bricks that is blocking the weep holes or the flashing paper has been punctured. It sometimes gets punctured when the bricklayers are using a tool that resembles a flat head screwdriver to remove mortar to create the weepholes and puncture the paper with the tool. If this is the problem then the builder will have to remove the bricks in the problem location and repair the thru wall flashing.