Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-09-23, 09:37 AM
Regular User

Default Richcraft Owners

Hi,
Just purchased a Richcraft Creekside. Wondering if you have any tips/advice especially concerning the design center. I am paying for upgrades out of pocket so would like to do the bare minimum that must be done with builder. Could you tell me some ideas on what was worth the money to do with builder and what's easily changed after.
thanks
Old 2010-09-23, 12:47 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1luckygirl View Post
Hi,
Just purchased a Richcraft Creekside. Wondering if you have any tips/advice especially concerning the design center. I am paying for upgrades out of pocket so would like to do the bare minimum that must be done with builder. Could you tell me some ideas on what was worth the money to do with builder and what's easily changed after.
thanks
The first time I bought a new home through a builder one of the most important things I learned was: Find out who the trades are and what kind of reputation they have. This is especially true if you're planning on spending a lot of money on kitchen/bathroom or hardwood upgrades. Good luck!!
Old 2010-09-23, 02:06 PM
Regular User

So the advice is if the trades don't have a good rep, skip on doing upgrades on that area?
Makes alot of sense, thanks!
Old 2010-09-23, 02:29 PM
Regular User

There are some upgrades that you can't or really costly to do after closing. Such as major structural change.
Old 2010-09-23, 02:39 PM
Regular User

Definately spend the money on the structural upgrades (Bumpouts, Windows, 9' ceilings in basement/2nd level, etc.). Everything else comes second.

As for trades, just make sure that if you pay Richcraft $30k for the kitchen of your dreams, you'll get a beautiful well-made kitchen. Also remember that you'll have to deal with the trades directly post-closing to fix the inevitable (hopefully minor) problems... so it's important if they keep their appointments and clean up after themselves.
Old 2010-09-23, 02:41 PM
Regular User

Well this strategy works and doesnt. Between when you sign for your home and when it actually gets built, the trades could change, the actual individuals doing the job will most likely change. I think whats more important is what the Builder's expectation of quality is of their trades and what level of work they deem acceptable when passing the home off to the buyer.
Old 2010-09-23, 02:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by minto_home View Post
Well this strategy works and doesnt. Between when you sign for your home and when it actually gets built, the trades could change, the actual individuals doing the job will most likely change. I think whats more important is what the Builder's expectation of quality is of their trades and what level of work they deem acceptable when passing the home off to the buyer.
The companies responsable for the big stuff (example: kitchen cabinets) very rarely change.
Old 2010-09-23, 03:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter Mama View Post
The companies responsable for the big stuff (example: kitchen cabinets) very rarely change.
Contracts are typically negotiated every phase. This is especially true for framers, drywallers, roofers, landscapers, painters.

This is often not the case for kitchen cabinetry or flooring because the samples in the design centre have to change (and the suppliers are almost always olympia or eurotile), but the installers for the flooring may be different from one phase to the next.

Old 2010-09-23, 04:57 PM

Here some of the upgrades that are worth doing with the builder:

- Hardwood stairs
- Structural changes (moving walls, adding space, etc).
- Pot lights (they can done after the fact, but painful).
- Brick on the outside (mainly half brick as they have to change the foundation to accomodate for the brick).
- Adding a bathroom to the 2nd floor
- Internet points or phone points in 2nd floor (1st floor is easy with unfiniahed basement) keep in mind they charge you more for cable points, while they use the same connectors and cabling. I did not understand that, but I only added phone points to the rooms and converted a couple as data points after moving in
- Speakers wiring to the 1st or 2nd ceilings
- Security wiring to smoke detecors on 1st or 2nd floor
- Moving light fixtures (we moved breakfast area and dinning room to accomodate for having the table centered) No charge from the builder

As for trade people. If they have booked to be at your place from 8 to 12 and by 9 or 9:30 they did not show-up, then call site office. They can get hold of them easily and let you know if they have forgot about you or not.
Old 2010-09-24, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009 View Post
- Internet points or phone points in 2nd floor (1st floor is easy with unfiniahed basement) keep in mind they charge you more for cable points, while they use the same connectors and cabling. I did not understand that, but I only added phone points to the rooms and converted a couple as data points after moving in
You pay a lot for them to add drops so its not worth it for them to do. Just get the cheapest single drop in a room and you can add more network/phone and cable drops later using the existing wiring to fish more wiring and replacing the panel with a multifunction panel (monoprice has some good deals.).