Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2011-04-13, 02:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortgageGuy View Post
Either you have misunderstood and asked the wrong questions or he doesn't know what he is talking about. Firstly though, I do not believe T.D. has started registering as collateral mortgages yet, but when and if they do, this $250 discharge fee has nothing to do with this change to collateral mortgages(I believe T.D. is taking a lot of flack over the change, thus the delay in implementing). Yes the discharge fee has always applied($250 or whatever, over the years), but this is a standard fee that most lenders charge when you leave them. The fees I have mentioned are the actual legal cost to discharge and reregister your mortgage with another bank when you leave T.D. if that T.D. mortgage WAS registered as a collateral mortgage. If it was NOT registered as a collateral, then the new bank would pick up that cost. Ask the T.D. guy if the T.D. collateral mortgage can be moved to another lender as a "no fee transfer" in the future. A simple question, with a simple answer, NO it can't. Scotia bank has a similiar mortgage called the "STEP" mortgage, it has the same problem. And in the end, that $250 discharge fee you had mentioned earlier, is also still charged. It has nothing to do with the change to registering as a collateral mortgage.
Dan
Dan, do you have more information on this? Has TD implemented this? How do I find out from the bank?