Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville

Stouffville Moving to Stouffville? Already living there? This section is for you.

Old 2011-03-03, 12:19 PM
Regular User

Default Solar panels in Stouffville

Hello all-
Just wondering if anyone has read about the recent Stouffville business flyer article on solar panels and how OPA will buy the power from you if you install in your home?
Has anyone had this done? Is it legit or a scam? Like most things, if it's too good to be true yadda yadda....
Just trying to do my part in reducing my carbon footprint but if I can generate an income why not? Just wondered what the catch was.....
Old 2011-03-03, 02:47 PM
Regular User

have heard of it and it is legit not a scam. the catch is that it takes a long time to pay off the investment.
Old 2011-03-03, 08:46 PM
Regular User

It's a risk. Today the Ont. gov't pays you I believe 80 cents per KWh for power you give back to the grid while they charge between 6-9 cents per KWh. nice gig. The risk is, there's an election this year so I wouldn't want to invest 20K in something that could be nixed by the next gov't.
Old 2011-03-03, 09:22 PM
Regular User

I think that it's worth investigating. Yes they pay you .80 ct/kwh but you sign a 20 year contract at this rate.

http://microfit.powerauthority.on.ca...oFIT/index.php

Look also for government/provincial grants to install the system. One family member installed a geothermal system and the government paid 50% of their install. The grants are not great now but there are still some available.

I don't find this a risk at all unless you install the system and someone builds a 10 story bldg next to yours and blocks the sun. The beauty about this as I understand it is that you don't need batteries at all since you are directly connected to the grid.

--------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/funrabbits

http://sunburstmirror.blogspot.com

Pictures from Model Homes:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=6930

CBC Marketplace show on Spray Foam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287
Old 2011-03-03, 11:20 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb

I was thinking about it too. I have to say I got a bit discouraged when I learned that you have to keep cleaning it (think snow, leafs, dirt, birds' droppings etc) regularly, and it can sometimes break if there is big hail. Also, it has to be installed by some reputable company to make sure that the wind will not blow it off. Plus, any serious repairs/work at the roof may be more expensive because of that (you may need to remove batteries for some time).
Having said that, I'm actually still open to this, as I like the idea in general. But I don't feel confident in this enough to be the first one to install it. So if you decide to install, please share your experience
Old 2011-04-24, 11:53 AM

Default Solar Panels

A contractor charge $10,000/KW plus HST. That included materials and labour. One KW of four or five solar panels costs $1890. Add extra $1000 for solar panels supports, inverter, batteries and wires. So, 1KW of solar energy can not cost more than $3000. The difference to $10,000 is labour. A contractor is working on government side and ripping off people. And here is the government scam. You or the contractor applies on your name for the building permit to install solar panels and to electrical authority for the 80 cents/KW (see redflagdeals). The city later will increase your property value with the amount the contractor charged you. You need in your house between 3 to 5 KW solar panels. So you will pay extra property taxes to government $300 to $500/year. You could get the 80 cents/KW for solar panels installed on the roof or 60 cents/KW for backyard. The money you received is income and you have to declare to your income tax. The home owner is the looser and the winner is the government.
A way of Canadian economy to prosper.