Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville

Stouffville Moving to Stouffville? Already living there? This section is for you.

Old 2013-02-05, 11:50 PM
Regular User

Default Driving/Traffic question: how is it? Also, where are all the speed traps?

How is traffic in the mornings? At what point in the day do you get traffic north and south on 48, ninth, tenth, and the 404?

To get to the 404 from Main Street plazas area seems like it's around 7 minutes or so if you, you know, go a little faster, not more than 20 over, but are police a heavy presence around there? Where are all the places I should worry about police hiding with radar/lidar?
Old 2013-02-09, 05:44 PM
Regular User

Too late for me, but i have the same question? i know where the cops sit in Thornhill, where do they hide in Stouffville? whats better 10th, 9th, 48 or 404. I hear daily traffic on the 404 south, but nothing from the others. 48 goes all the way to danforth in toronto. so the chioces are many. Anyone else do the big commute?
Old 2013-02-10, 01:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.n.ardis View Post
Too late for me, but i have the same question? i know where the cops sit in Thornhill, where do they hide in Stouffville? whats better 10th, 9th, 48 or 404. I hear daily traffic on the 404 south, but nothing from the others. 48 goes all the way to danforth in toronto. so the chioces are many. Anyone else do the big commute?
If you live on the east side of Stouffville, then the best is 10th Line or York-Durham Line south, then 407 west, then 404.

On 10th Line cops are usually close to the Camp Robin Hood. Sometimes (but not often) you can also see them near 19th Av. I also saw them two or three times between Hwy7 and 16th Av. Most of the time, other drivers will inform you that there are cops. On most stretches it's safe to go there around 90km/h, except the Camp Robin Hood area (because of kids) and the curvy road near 16th Av.

If you want to avoid paying for 407, then take 9th Line south, then Major Mac west, then 404. I have never seen cops on 9th Line or MajorM. Skipping 407 adds approximately 10 minutes to your commute.

Heavy traffic on 404 starts near the 401/DVP intersection. DVP is always terrible. Quite often better to exit on Sheppard and just take Don Mills until it gets you back on DVP again... but I think I'm too far from Stouffville now

These days I commute every day from Stouffville to Liberty Village in downtown Toronto. Takes about 50 minutes. My fastest time was 35 minutes on the day between Christmas and New Year when many people took vacation. I wish it was like that every day
Old 2013-02-10, 08:47 PM
Regular User

So you're actually asking publicly when and where you can speed like a maniac without being caught by the police, and people are actually replying to this? Selfish criminals.
Old 2013-02-10, 11:44 PM
Regular User

Well I will tell you a story. My son has two towtrucks. He follows York regional police to several areas in York region that he loves. The best spots are at the bottom of any hill. Naturally the normal speed on 4 lanes in York is 80, not too hard with a grade to hit 100 or 110. Ever heard of the term fishing hole? Why is there a radar unit (both ways) on 16th over the tracks on the weekend? why is the speed limit ENFORCED in the school zone on a weekend? Why does the posted speed DROP from 80 approaching the hill, drop to 40 on the way down? THIS IS ACCEPTABLE monday to friday? But on a weekend? Especially with bill 115 killing any possibility of a wekend school activity, this can ONLY be considered a fishing hole. (Sixteenth avenue public school). And yes, if you have teh equipment and the skill to drive at teh top of the limit, then do it. Although I am certian York regional police have the skill to do it, starting from zero at the side of the road on the 407 and whipping up to 120 KPH across four lanes MIGHT be considered recless, but who am I to comment. I know if I re-entered taffic on that flight path I MIGHT have some splaning to do.....
Old 2013-02-11, 03:07 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeyhome View Post
So you're actually asking publicly when and where you can speed like a maniac without being caught by the police, and people are actually replying to this? Selfish criminals.
A lot of assumptions in your post...
Old 2013-02-11, 03:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.n.ardis View Post
Well I will tell you a story. My son has two towtrucks. He follows York regional police to several areas in York region that he loves. The best spots are at the bottom of any hill.
So is it like a sport now?

I hate the whole commercialization of speeding tickets. Offences are supposed to be punishable by law enforcement only, and shouldn't act as a source of revenue. Instead, there are so many companies and individuals who pocket their share. Towtruck companies, insurance companies, lawyers who help you fight tickets, etc, etc.

I'm not against people who take advantage of this situation. I'm against lawmakers who created the environment for such an abuse of drivers. It's time for an overhaul. I would start with forbidding insurance companies to hike premiums for speeding, and changing speed limits in most places to more reasonable numbers. 100km/h on 407? Please.

In my opinion, the whole system built around speed enforcement is unfair and overly punitive. It should be changed. And until that happens, I will take any legal opportunity I have to fight against it. Sharing usual speed traps areas with other drivers is one way of doing this.