Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-02-19, 11:02 AM
Regular User

Dear SHARKMAN1, I have not talk to you or even seen you for a while.
I am very glad you like your new house and as well, want to see your pictures.
Old 2013-02-19, 03:02 PM
Regular User

Hey Sharkman, congrats!

We have a Tamarack Huntington and in our case, there is a heating vent in the kitchen and in the pantry.

As for the walk-in closet there isn't one, but I think in the blueprints, there is supposed to be one...I just didn't bother to do anything about it because it didn't seem like it would change anything...my closet door is always open.

Enjoy your home! I have LOVED mine!!

Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek
Closing: November 28th, 2013

Old 2013-02-19, 03:22 PM
Regular User

sharkman if your basement ceiling is open, see if the heat run to kitchen area was installed, could be covered over on the floor, or a vent needs to be installed in a cabinet kick plate
Old 2013-02-20, 09:11 AM
Regular User

Hi Sharkman,

well there is no vent in the kitchen or the pantry, only in the dining room. didn't even notice until you asked. There is one in the walk-in closet.
Old 2013-02-20, 11:20 PM
Regular User

Does anyone's fireplace make a big bang sound when u turn it on and again when it cools down? Both mine are doing it. The pdi guy said it was normal but I've had fireplaces in all my previous houses and never had this happen.

Old 2013-02-20, 11:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKMAN1 View Post
Does anyone's fireplace make a big bang sound when u turn it on and again when it cools down? Both mine are doing it. The pdi guy said it was normal but I've had fireplaces in all my previous houses and never had this happen.
Yes, in our current home - this has occured since day one and our PDI guy said the exact same thing. We had someone look at it at our 30-day inspection 10 years ago but they tested everything and all was OK - they also stated this was normal...it can certainly be startling though!
Moved in: August 21st, 2013
Old 2013-02-21, 02:43 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Sharkman1 the uncertainty I have is how loud is the noise. Metal will make a noise - called tin canning - when it heats and cools.

But I wouldn't consider a 'bang' normal. Suggest you ask them to have the fireplace guy check it, put it on your 30 day.

Can you please confirm that the bang does not occur at the point the gas ignites? Rather after the heat is on for a bit.
Old 2013-02-21, 07:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Sharkman1 the uncertainty I have is how loud is the noise. Metal will make a noise - called tin canning - when it heats and cools.

But I wouldn't consider a 'bang' normal. Suggest you ask them to have the fireplace guy check it, put it on your 30 day.

Can you please confirm that the bang does not occur at the point the gas ignites? Rather after the heat is on for a bit.
The bang happens once the fireplace heats up and then again when it cools. Its loud enough that I jumped the first time it did it!
The next time I heard it I was upstairs the fireplace on the main floor was on and I had turned it off. The bang was loud enough to hear clear as day upstair and happen about half an hour after I had turned it off.

Old 2013-02-22, 05:04 AM
Regular User

Thats not something I've ever seen / heard. Sounds like something is binding then releasing.

Ours makes multiple 'tics' as the box heats up and cools down.

Suggest you ask them to check it out on your 30 day - the pdi guy will always suggest something isn't a problem.
Old 2013-02-22, 08:43 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Also mentioned here
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=15839