Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2013-04-04, 05:04 PM
Regular User

Default Two Furniture Stores.....

That I WON'T be buying from due to their horrible pressure tactics....

Went into Sears Home in Pinecrest to show the better half the appliances we will be getting. We're also looking for furniture for various rooms of the home. Upon entering the furniture side, a lady approaches us with her binder and greets us. We explain our situation, that we are closing in August, and have a full storage unit. Ask about holding the furniture etc...Then said we will let her know if we have any questions. She proceeds to follow us around the entire store, sometimes sitting in dining room sets near things we were looking at to listen in on our conversations. She was basically stalking us all over the store. HUGE turn off for me.

Went to Dufresne this afternoon off Innes. Greeted by a lady. Explained our situation, told her what we were looking for etc.

She sat us down, literally cornered us onto one of the sectionals and began her spiel about being family owned etc. Then we said okay thank you very much for the info, we will get her if we need any further assistance. She follows us around commenting on things we are looking at...Showing us different brown leather pieces even though we told her we were specifically looking for black or white leather or micro-fibre. We would say it didn't match our finishings when she showed us a brown couch, and she would respond, "REAAAAALY!?" Just like I typed it. Most annoying furniture shopping experiences.

Also went to The Upper Room Home Furnishings across the Queensway from Sears Home in Pinecrest.

Let me tell you...POLAR OPPOSITE of the aforementioned stores. The sales lady was VERY helpful. NOT pushy at all. Would actually LISTEN to what we were telling her. She used to be a home design consultant and interior decorator. She offered to help us with colours and pieces that may suite our finishes and space. Did NOT try to sell us the most expensive pieces on the floor.

Needless to say..We will be purchasing ALL of our furniture through this person. They have lots of very nice furniture in that store. Lots of solid wood selections that are also modern. They have countless options as far as coverings for their sofas, chairs, etc.

I highly recommend this store for anyone looking to purchase furniture for their home. You won't find cheap furniture here though. When I say cheap, I am referring to furniture like we previously purchased from The Brick just to fill the room. We bought a leather living room set that last us two years. The seams were starting to rip, you sat down and basically touched the frame of the couch.

For example, they had a king sized solid wood bedroom set on for $4500 down from almost $12,000 as part of their March Madness sale.

Old 2013-04-04, 05:12 PM
Regular User

Yup I hate it when the sales people follow you around the store, it's soo annoying, its my pet peeve, on the inside I'm like "arrghhh let me alone already"
Old 2013-04-04, 05:22 PM
Regular User

Whenever we get a sales person following us, we just walk right out the door, cause it's too annoying! it's even more annoying when they try to listen to what you're saying and keep including themselves in your conversations!! another bad strategy is to force their "decoration" ideas when you clearly know what you want and you're not asking for their opinion!

anyways, thanks for the tips

Old 2013-04-04, 05:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkStnBerk2 View Post
That I WON'T be buying from due to their horrible pressure tactics.....
hope you had/will have a chat with the manager
Old 2013-04-04, 06:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
hope you had/will have a chat with the manager
I plan on speaking with the managers from both stores and explain to them why I will not be purchasing from them. I was on somewhat of a timeline today so I didn't have a chance while I was there. I will also speak with the one from The Upper Room and let them know how helpful their sales staff were. I find that's something that gets missed these days in retail. Lots of complaints but not much praise.

Old 2013-04-04, 06:47 PM
Regular User

Both locations of Lazyboy are like that as well. I don't think talking to the manager will help. The sales reps are obviously commissioned so that's why they circle customers like vultures. I usually do my scouting on the weekends at those type of places and then visit them on weeknights if I'm actually interested in buying something.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2013-04-04, 07:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkStnBerk2 View Post
I plan on speaking with the managers from both stores and explain to them why I will not be purchasing from them. I was on somewhat of a timeline today so I didn't have a chance while I was there. I will also speak with the one from The Upper Room and let them know how helpful their sales staff were. I find that's something that gets missed these days in retail. Lots of complaints but not much praise.
If you do talk to the manager for complaints, please don't give out the names of the sales staff...we don't want them getting in trouble or losing their job...

Old 2013-04-04, 07:43 PM
Regular User

I don't even remember their names. I'm always very general whenever I've mentioned customer service problems. I don't believe in the tattle tale type mentality.

Old 2013-04-04, 09:56 PM
Regular User

Two thumbs up for the Upper Room. I'm pretty sure we dealt with the same sales lady. She was so professional and knowledgeable....totally won us over with her personality and approach. Listened to what we were envisioning and what our style is and gave us some great advice (her interior design background sure makes a difference). We ended up buying our living room furniture there, and my parents recently bought their dining room set. Can't say enough good things about Patty!
Old 2013-04-05, 08:12 AM
Regular User

Hah, I was at Dufresne on Innes yesterday also, and had a similar experience. I think at the time I was possibly the only customer in the entire store, and the parking lot was pretty empty, so I suspect that they're desperate for business out there.

And I've bought furniture from the Upper Room in the past and have always been impressed. Their stuff is a little pricey, but very well-constructed.