Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane

Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane For residents and soon-to-be residents of Stouffvilles Main Street and River Ridge, Great Gulf Homes, Fieldgate, Greenpark and more!

Old 2016-03-22, 03:31 PM
Regular User

Exclamation Claim your security deposit: Duffin, Lageer, Jonas Millway and area

If you haven't yet claimed your security deposit and you live somewhere near the area described in the topic, then contact your builder and request your deposit back. It seems that the area was finally claimed by the town few months ago.
Even if you bought your house in that area recently, you are still eligible to receive the refund as the current owner (should be something between $1000 to $2000). Don't let the construction companies keep the money - they do the very minimum to try to contact owners in hopes that they will be able to keep the money if nobody claims it.
Old 2016-04-01, 09:06 AM
Regular User

Tom, do you mean if you are the current owner but not the original owner, you can still receive this deposit?
Old 2016-04-02, 03:04 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtdotter View Post
Tom, do you mean if you are the current owner but not the original owner, you can still receive this deposit?
Correct. As long as the original owner never received it. So if you moved in *before* your street was assumed by the town, you should now call the builder and tell them you are the current owner and you want to claim the deposit.

EDIT: Technically, this is actually called "grading deposit", but for whatever reason my builder (Starlane) calls it "security deposit". Try both terms when you talk with them. BTW, if your home was built by Starlane, I can give you contact directly to the person who deals with these deposits there.

Last edited by TomToronto2; 2016-04-02 at 03:13 PM.
Old 2016-04-02, 05:58 PM
Regular User

Thanks Tom. Unfortunately ours is Greenpark. I'll call their general number Monday and see where I get with it and report back.
Old 2016-04-02, 09:28 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtdotter View Post
Thanks Tom. Unfortunately ours is Greenpark. I'll call their general number Monday and see where I get with it and report back.
Good luck. And please do report back what was your experience. I'm sure there are more people here who are interested in this.
Old 2016-04-04, 08:39 AM
Regular User

Reporting back!

Called Greenpark's main line and the person just answers "service". No "Greenpark", no "hello".... I asked about grading deposit and get cut off saying it's a different area and number is....

416-661-5989

This time person just says "" and soon as I mention grading deposit I get cut off and told I'm being redirected to an automated recording with info and call back for Stephanie if I have questions.

Fortunately, it's pretty straightforward. They need the following information emailed to ginfo@greenparkhomes.com, mailed, or faxed to 905-669-0444

-Vendor Name
-Lot #
-Plan #
-Lot or Municipal Address
-Current Mailing Address

Apparently above information you can refer to Schedule X of the Purchase & Sale Agreement.

Will update with any new info from here on.
Old 2016-04-06, 06:56 AM
Regular User

Update....Tom, only the original purchasing would get the security/grading deposit back, NOT the current owner.

I spoke with Greenpark and they said they already sent it to the prior owner (which is fine) but even if they didn't, I would not be entitled to it.

Hope that helps clarifying for anyone else looking into this who bought resale.
Old 2016-04-06, 09:06 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the update xtdotter. This is surprising. The way it was explained to me by a lawyer is that grading deposit is tied to the property (more precisely: the land on which the house stands). So once the ownership of the property is transferred, the new owner is entitled to the grading deposit.

So I'm now wondering what happens if construction companies cannot track down the original owner. Do they get to keep the money? That doesn't sound fair to me at all.

xtdotter do you still have contact with the original owner of your house? I'm really curious whether they indeed sent the money to the original owner.
Sorry that it didn't work for you. I was just repeating what I heard from my lawyer. Apparently, my lawyer doesn't know law
Old 2016-04-07, 05:15 AM
Regular User

Hi Tom, unfortunately I don't have contact with them anymore. What your lawyer says does make sense, though. And yes, I'm not sure I trust what they say - considering you need to request for it by providing the information I listed in my previous email. Why would they have just automatically sent the funds to the prior owner, then?

I will dig around some more and also check with my neighbours if they automatically received their funds.

Thanks!