Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-05-31, 10:05 AM
Regular User

I am thinking to repaint all my walls at some point aswell. But I expect that they will atleast fix all the blister, crack issues on the wall.
Old 2017-05-31, 11:12 AM
Regular User

I haven't noticed any yet but looking at all the posts here I'm wondering if I need to look at all the walls with a better lighting & better pair of glasses, may be I'm missing it
Old 2017-05-31, 11:32 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaG View Post
I haven't noticed any yet but looking at all the posts here I'm wondering if I need to look at all the walls with a better lighting & better pair of glasses, may be I'm missing it
Or there is just too much to look at and you don't notice right away. The handprint in the spackle I didn't notice right away as it's in a bathroom that I don't use often and it's hidden by the door if the door is open. Some of the issues I didn't notice right away as I was busy moving in and dealing with other things. Some were very obvious (I have a flat ceiling on the main and they had spackled but not repainted areas).
Old 2017-05-31, 11:48 AM
Regular User

One more question I have. Does Mattamy install 2 pane or 3 pane window? One of my friend recently bought a Tamarack house and was telling me that they install 3 pane window that is more energy efficient. I don't remember I even had an option to upgrade the window. What do you guys think about the window installed by Mattamy in HMB P4?
Old 2017-05-31, 11:52 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
Or there is just too much to look at and you don't notice right away. The handprint in the spackle I didn't notice right away as it's in a bathroom that I don't use often and it's hidden by the door if the door is open. Some of the issues I didn't notice right away as I was busy moving in and dealing with other things. Some were very obvious (I have a flat ceiling on the main and they had spackled but not repainted areas).

So true, thank you Suezuki650, I'll keep a close watch & see. I'm also hoping that I'm one of those lucky ones who has no problem areas Well, one can at least hope, right
Old 2017-05-31, 05:03 PM
Regular User

We had many paint issues as well. The problem is partly bad workmanship and partly that Mattamy uses a matte finish for their paint because apparently it hides imperfections well. The downside is that every finger print or drop of water will show. We had them come fix some of the paint issues but the painters literally just paint, they don't patch or sand. It also caused more problems in some cases like paint on our porch/pavers and roller marks where they patched. We decided to save ourselves the headache and just fix the issues ourselves by slowly painting over the whole house.

As far as the windows go I'm pretty sure we are only double pane windows and I don't recall an option to upgrade to triple pane.
Old 2017-06-01, 11:31 AM
Regular User

Yes Dale... same problem here... every figer print or drop of water mark stays on the paint... there is no way to clean it, if you try to clean it leave more marks on the wall. Even in bathrooms they have done the same paint and now I see water marks everywhere on the paint. First I thought there is some defect with the paint but now you mentioned about it aswell so I guess this is what Mattamy's paint quality is.
Old 2017-06-02, 11:58 AM
Regular User

I think part of the problem is that they are using a flat paint and that they didn't do a primer, nor did they do a light sanding between coats. An eggshell finish for instance, still gives a matte finish, but it's easier to clean. If they had done any sanding it would be smoother, and less prone to marking. They were using Sherwin Williams paint which I thought should be ok. The Benjamin Moore paint has some of the same issues, but it's better now that the walls have had some sanding and another 2 coats of paint.
Old 2017-06-02, 12:26 PM
Regular User

I am seeing a lot of nail pops (something like this -> https://wp.zillowstatic.com/10/1-nai...6-1024x683.jpg) on my ceiling and drywall. I wonder how are they going to fix that? I was doing some online research and found out couple of ways to fix them (http://www.dummies.com/home-garden/w...-and-ceilings/)...

I wonder if Mattamy is going to follow those steps mentioned in the link above or are they going to just put that same screw/nail (that's popping out) back and paint on top? I have heard that this way it's going to pop out again after some time.
Old 2017-06-13, 09:49 AM
Regular User

Hello Guys,

I have a question.... The HRV that Mattamy has installed looks bit confusing to me. Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't all the bathroom exhaust vents are suppose to be connected to HRV system? Instead I have a dedicated exhaust fan installed in all my bathrooms.

Secondly, is there a way to tell if the HRV system is working or not? I did turn on the HRV from the controller (that is installed on the entrance) but is there a way to actually tell that if the HRV is turn on and working fine?

Thanks.